16. Next

"The last interschool festival, before I leave school my dears!", Riya declared dramatically, pointing with her right hand to the brochure that held in her left hand as Mishti and I stood next to her, watching.

The current Fine Arts Secretary was a junior girl called Sejal who was chosen plainly because she was top of her class. She had the personality of a cardboard and could do nothing for the Club.

Which meant, the juniors' favourite Riya still ruled the roost.

It was exactly a couple of months now since the Chief Minister's demise. It was also the first day of Ramadan and I was on fast.

The state was reverting back to normalcy and all the regular cultural events were being set up.

The Oleander Interschool Festival was an annual interschool competition in Mumbai. People had thought it wouldn't happen this year but it was finally happening.

And according to Riya, it was destiny offering us a final shot to glory before we left the school.

"And do you guys know who the chief guest is going to be?", Riya fell silent briefly as if to add suspense "The one and only Harry Kapoor!"

There was an instant outpour of very loud 'ooh's and 'aah's. Riya looked satisfied.

Harinder Kapoor christened in the media as 'Harry' was a stark contrast from most of the other star kids of the Hindi film industry.

There had been a lot of prejudice when his father, director Devrath Kapoor had launched him in his own film.

But inspite of all that, with his insane good looks, charismatic personality, his witty answers in interviews and humongous social media following he managed to win hearts across the country. Within one year of the release of his first movie he had become a national sensation.

That was back when we were in ninth grade.

Last year, his biggest blockbuster, a remake of Tarzan had released. And in that film, he had been quite..

Well, naked.

But that was less important. The fact that we would now actually be catching a glimpse of him was enough to sustain all of us who were going for the festival, especially the girls.

"We have quiet a lot of time to get ready", Riya said brightly, "The festival is only in October. All the events taking place are mentioned in here", she said waving the brochure in her hand.

"We'll put a copy of this on the noticeboard. Interested people can register your names with the Arts Club Head, Mr Suhrit Madan or..", Riya paused as if what she was about to say next was causing her pain, "Mrs Loukya Khanna".

"You'll be competing, won't you?", Riya said lowering her voice and looking at me expectantly.

"Of course!", I said stoutly and Riya beamed.

"Well that's it guys!", Riya said addressing the crowd again, as she closed the brochure and clasped her hands together, "This should be the best performance St Xavier's has ever given. Let's start preparing from today y'all! We have a movie star to impress and a trophy to bring home!"

Early on Sunday morning I practically bounced off to D Block to meet Rahul who had just come back from tour

The lift opened and Rahul came out smiling, looking tired but handsome as ever.

After a very quick checking-on-all-sides to ensure nobody I knew was in the vicinity, I flung my arms around Rahul. The embrace was generously returned and it felt like several sunlit days had passed when we finally let go.

"When did you come back?", I asked.

"Four in the morning", he said wearily "Haven't been sleeping at all for three months but it was worth it. Delhi was insane. Chandigarh was great too. Everywhere else was okay-okay. But we had fun", he added, "What about you? What's been happening?"

"Well the Chief Minister died".

"I also watch the news Zoya".

"Well nothing much apart from that", I said truthfully "School, revision exams, the usual...next time, please take me on tour with you".

"Why? Missed me that much?", he asked grabbing my hand and pulling me towards him.

"No I could just do with a change. Some adventure would be nice".

He was now running his fingers through my hair, "What kind of adventure?"

"The kind that involves lot of force and pressure"

He bit his lip and grinned, making me queasy all over. I would've buckled down if he wasn't holding me. I hugged him closer and he brushed his nose against my cheek.

I lost track of how long we stood there. I never broke any hug. Not even with Riya and Zoya. I would always wait for the other person to let go first. It was no different with Rahul.

After several seconds or it could have been several sunlit days, Rahul loosened his grip on me.

"I think I saw Mrs Kashyap coming", he said.

"Liar", I said taking my hands off him and turning, "Alright I'll see you later".

"And Zoya.."

"Haan?"

"Please go and have a bath".