Chapter 5

The next few days were eventful, to say the least. Kai had reluctantly continued to ask questions to Lillian, even though she seemed to not give a shit about what Kai had to say. Every time, she opened her mouth and was ready to say something, Miss Satan would roll her eyes or let out a long sigh. Kai knew that if the mission did not go as planned, she would be in trouble and her family could end up getting hurt. So she trudged on and continued her integration.

One time Kai asked, "Do you miss your overly lavish lifestyle?" Miss Satan had responded with an eye roll and her mouth shut. Kai wasn't going to give up that easily. "Oh come on, you really can't be that offended by that question, I mean it's coming from me, someone with a commoner name and background." Kai was never going to let her forget the remarks she made about Kai's name.

"Yes, I do miss my life, it might have been extravagant but it was my home, and it was way better than hiking with a girl who can't seem to keep her mouth shut and eyes off of me." Miss Satan seethed. Kai was shocked that she answered. She was startled, not only by her speaking but by her response. Who knew she could get ten times meaner.

"Do you really think I want to be here?" Kai laughed, "I would rather be anywhere else but here, and as far from you as possible. You cause an annoyance to my life that really isn't necessary." Kai said back, her voice filled with venom. It was becoming a fight, and luckily Kai was trained.

"Dido," She simply stated.

"Wow quite the response, I bet you can say that in seven other languages." Kai criticized, as she rolled her eyes.

"Oui," She smiled, though not friendly. "This hike and trip would be a lot better if you were to just shut up and leave me alone."

"Yeah, sorry I am not gonna do that and give you the satisfaction. If I have to be miserable with your presence, so do you."

"Wow, so petty, I bet your father taught you that."

Kai was taken aback. She stopped walking for a moment before she continued. How dare she bring up Kai's father, she had no right, especially since it was her kingdom who killed her. She wanted to kill her right now, screw the plan. Her hand guided down to the dagger in her holster. It wasn't the same one she had been given by General Hoax. It was her father's. She grabbed hold of it and inched closer.

What was she doing?! She needed to follow the plan, her Generals knew what they were doing. She needed to trust them. Calm down, she told herself and she tucked the weapon back into her belt.

"No he didn't, Would you like to tell me about family? I am sorry I didn't do a whole ton of research. If I wanted to fall asleep, I could have watched the birds flying off and counting sheep." Kai asked. If she couldn't kill her with her weapon, she would annoy her to no end.

"I would rather not," she responded, obviously annoyed and totally done with Kai.

Kai knew these questions and other snide remarks were not getting her anywhere, but she didn't care.

Kai had also taken to calling Lillian, your highness, in a snide remark when Kai wanted to say something. Lillian retaliated by calling Kai, Barlowe, instead of her name. Kai ignored it, but she had to admit it was pretty clever. She wanted to have some fun on this trip, and from what she could read from Lillian's face it was working. Lillian tried to walk slower or faster than Kai, wanting space and peace. She could care less as long as "her highness" didn't drift off too far or get lost.

Kai also noticed that now and then, she would catch Lillian staring at her. When Kai would catch her, she would give her a death glare and an eye roll, anything to get her highness, looking away. But why was she staring? Disgust? Anger? What other emotion could it be?

* * *

After three more days of hiking and snide remarks, which Kai had to admit made the days go faster, they were nearing the end of their camping trip, and soon they would need to start traveling through villages. Kai would miss the seclusion that was brought from the woods, but it was coming to an end.

Another thing Kai had enjoyed from the last week of hiking was how much more muscular she got. She had to admit that her calves were definitely more toned from all the climbing and walking. With every step, you could see the muscles working hard and the crease forming on the side. She had gotten strong from training and still would work out at home but some had regressed while she waited for her mission.

She reluctantly had to admit that Lillian was definitely holding her own, even in a dress. She could walk for as long as needed and climb just like Kai. She had continued to put up her own tent and they took turns cooking the food. She seemed to be putting up with Kai and her remarks, almost growing tolerance to them. Most of the time she would just ignore her or give her small answers she could bounce off of.

Kai wasn't ready for the camping to be over, but was looking forward to the next part of the mission.

They had made camp for the night and Kai was looking over the map, figuring out the best place to camp next and the path to take. She needed to check for the streams, caverns, and deeply wooded areas. They tried to stay near the edge of the forest, so nothing too bad happened, but Kai was ordered to take a certain path and could only take so many liberties.

She pulled her brown cloak over her shoulder, the weather had gotten significantly colder and windier. Kai tried to ignore it and continued her planning.

Lillian had headed to bed earlier than normal after Kai caught her staring once more. After an uncomfortable time of eye contact, her highness surrendered and went toward her tent. Kai decided to ignore it and try not to overthink it. But why was she staring? Kai already knew that there was nothing on her face? So what was the reason for all the staring? Did Lillian want to say something, not that Kai would listen? And more importantly, why did Kai not mind the staring from Lillian?