Chapter 16

They had spent the day alone in their rooms. Kai was growing bored and reckless in her room and she severely needed some freedom. But something had changed between them, and Kai didn't want to risk running into Lillian. So she stayed put in her room, reading, cleaning, and doing whatever she could to not go crazy.

Kai didn't know why the mood had shifted, other than obvious reasons. They both seemed to enjoy the kiss and yet here they were locked in their rooms. Kai certainly enjoyed it and was slowly craving more. Lillian had seemed pleased, which was obvious when she started speaking french. So if they both enjoyed it, then why was the mood shifted to an awkward and uncomfortable vibe? And Kai desperately wanted to know how she could fix it, but until she figured it out, she would stay hauled away in her room.

On top of all that, Kai decided that the ball was in Lillian's court. Kai had made the decision to confront her last night, and now Lillian was the one who needed to make a move. So Kai's stubbornness peeked out and she stayed put, waiting for Lillian to do something.

However, when Kai or Lillian needed to leave for something, the two of them danced around each other whenever they crossed in the hallway or lobby of the inn. Neither of them spoke a word to each other the entire day. Not a Hi or an Omg that kiss was amazing to let's do it again! nothing. A weird tension had consumed the air and once again Kai was confused.

At one point, as Kai was coming back from picking herself up some dinner, she accidentally bumped into Lillian. "Oh sorry," Kai mumbled, as she kept her eyes on the floor and focused on not dropping her soup.

"It's okay," Lillian replied. When she spoke there was no smile or elaboration, just it's okay.

Kai had thought the kiss would lead to bigger and better things. But it had the opposite effect, they were back to square one. Was the kiss wrong? Should Kai have stayed in her own room? The questions were swarming Kai's mind the entire time she was alone in her room. Finally, the sun began to set and Kai became tired, although she hadn't done much during the day she had become emotionally and mentally tired. She slid into her bed and laid her head down, she shut her eyes and darkness overcame her.

* * *

"FORWARD," General Hoax yelled, she was standing on a podium raised above a grass field.

Kai listened and moved forward towards the figure across from her. The figure was wearing a mask and the same training clothes as Kai. She was back in training, and even worse, they were doing fighting exercises. This part was Kai's least favorite, she hated fighting her peers. Most of the time she tried to get out of it, but every now and then she was trapped. They were people she trusted and became close too and now she was expected to hurt them or worse, kill them.

People were circling the field hoping to catch a view, which added to the pressure. General Hoax was brutal and wanted the best warriors she could get, no matter what. ANd Kai needed to prove herself, she had to. This made training ruthless and almost unbearable, but it had to be done.

"KAI!! STAB THEM!" General Hoax yelled once again. She blew her whistle. And crossed her arms shooting Kai a look of disapproval.

Without Kai's control, her body moved forward and she was running towards the body directly across from her. As she got closer the figure stood in a ready position, she was going to put up a fight. When she was meer inches from the figure, she lifted her hand holding the sword. The mystery figure lifted her weapon in response and they clashed. Kai brought her sword up and down, doing whatever she could to win.

All of Kai's senses were muted and all she could hear was the clashing of swords, the cheers of people, and commands of General Hoax. Kai tried to tune them all out and just focus on finishing, and fast. Kai let out a few grunts and worked her muscles harder than before, her opponent was putting up a difficult fight.