Chapter 21

Kai waited, and waited, and waited. Her elbows got tired and she laid flat on the ground. She stared at the ceiling and continued to wait for Lillian to return. She began to count the drops of rain she heard from outside. Drip. Drip. Drip.

When Kai had counted eighty-four drops of rain from outside, she heard the door close and footsteps headed her way. She watched as Lillian walked towards her, shot her a smile, nodded her head towards the bed, and continued walking. Kai worked her way off the ground and followed Lillian to the bed. In Lillian's hand was a letter that had been unopened. They both got into bed and pulled the covers up to their hips. Lillian handed Kai the letter and gave her a nervous smile.

Kai looked down at the letter in her hand. It was addressed to her and had been sent from General Hoax at the base. Kai had no idea what the letter would say and she tried to be brave and stay calm. However, Lillian knew her too well and she grabbed Kai's hand and began to draw shapes in her palm. Kai's face grew a thankful smile and she looked back at the letter. She slowly ripped open the letter and held it in her shaky hand. She took a breath and focused on the letter.

It read,

Dear Warrior #268,

You and the princess have been requested to Base #74, located a mile outside of the town of Southwood. You are to be there at ten am on Tuesday, the fourth of June. You will be questioned on your journey progress and be checked thoroughly. The princess will be going through the same process. If you are to not show up we will find you and the princess will be assigned to a new warrior. This is a routine process so we know what can happen if something were to go askew. You have no reason to fear if you have nothing to hide. Non-Far Domande.

General Hoax

Base #4

Kai had to reread the letter a few times before she looked up towards Lillian. Even though Lillian had taken hold of her hand, it was still shaking. After Kai fully comprehended the letter she lifted her head and her eyes met Lillians. Lillian had a look of puzzlement spread across her face and her eyes were filled with curiosity.

She had no idea what this letter meant. Even though there were clear instructions and warnings, Kai's mind still went fuzzy and she struggled to focus. She couldn't believe what they were asked to do. They had to go to the base, and Kai hadn't been to one since she left her training and she didn't know if she would be able to handle all the flashbacks and memories.

"I-I-It," Kai stammered. She tried to keep her eyes connected to Lillian's, but her breath began to shake and tears filled her eyes.

"It's okay, take your time" Lillian soothed. She reached her hand behind Kai and started to rub her back. She waited for Kai to calm down and did what she could to help. "Breath in, Breath out."

Kai followed Lillian's breathing and soon she had calmed down a little. Lillian brought her hand back in front of her and used her other hand to draw shapes into Kai's palm. She slowly reached her hand towards the letter in Kai's shaking fist. She looked at Kai and waited for a nod of permission and Lillian wrapped her hand around the letter. She grabbed the letter and began to read.

Kai watched Lillian's eyes scan the page and she tried to focus on her breathing instead of her thoughts. The room was silent as Lillian read the letter in her hand. Her face was stone and Kai couldn't read it, they were both trying to stay so calm. Lillian read and reread the letter until her eyes met Kai's once again.

They stared into each other's eyes until Lilian spoke first, "So," she started, "I guess we have to go tomorrow."

"I guess so," Kai whispered in response.