Chapter 14

Kai and Lillian were running through stone corridors of what looked like a castle, the wind was flowing through their hair and Kai felt both alive and free. She was chasing Lillian down the corridor and slowly gaining speed. Her feel was running in a fast-paced rhythm and her heart was pounding. The only thing that mattered was them, their breathing, their footsteps, their moment. Kai had caught up to Lillian and grabbed hold of her around her waist, pulling her back towards Kai. They both came to a sudden halt and the world stood still. Lillian leaned her head back on Kai's shoulder and Kai gave her a squeeze. She heard an exhausted laugh coming from Lillian, soon followed by Lillian turning around and she wrapped her arms around Kai's neck. They both took a deep breath, staring into each other's eyes and Lillian slowly eaned forward. Their lips inched closer and then-

Kai suddenly awoke in her bed, alone. She instantly sat up and looked around her, she was in her room at the inn. It had all been a dream, the feeling of comfort and calm, it wasn't real. Kai threw her head back onto her pillow out of anger, why couldn't it be real? She wanted it to be real, all of it. She wanted to get to hold and kiss Lillian anytime she wanted. But why was she feeling like this? And where did these feelings come from? Kai rolled over on her side, alone, lonely, and falling on her Princess Lillian, her rival kingdoms' princess.

* * *

"I'm so so bored," Kai whined as she flopped onto Lillian's bed. It was around noon now and they were hoping to do something today besides sitting around. It was their last day in the town and Kai was getting anxious to get back on the road.

Lillian walked over and sat down with Kai. "I know," she replied.

Lillian picked up Kai's hand and started drawing shapes in her palm. It was a small thing but the sensation it brought Kai made her wish it would never end. She let her head fall back onto the bed and closed her eyes, as she focused on the feeling in her hand. She felt circles, squares, and triangles all being drawn in her palm. The contact was nice and gave Kai some desperately needed peace.

She looked up towards Lillian once again and gave her a smile. A wave of relaxation ran over her body, and she was instantly calm. Like in the dream, nothing mattered but them. Kai closed her eyes again and let her mind drift.

After what felt like an eternity, not that Kai was complaining, she sat up and looked Lillian in the eyes. Kai never realized how beautiful Lillian's eyes were until she was staring at them with the time and purpose she had at that moment. They were green, but not just green. It was the color of the trees that they passed every day, the color of the green covers filling the shelves of every bookshelf. They were electrifying like the wings of dragonflies and hummingbirds. And green seemed to become a pretty good color to Kai.

They held eye contact and something hit Kai. This is exactly what she has been waiting for, looking for, her entire life. She wanted this to stick, but she needed to know if Lillian reciprocated feelings. And there was no better way to find out than to ask. But baby steps would be the first palace to start. Get to know her better and then ask if there was a future between them.

She didn't know what answer she wanted to hear.

Kai moved so that she was now facing Lillian, "Do you want to-"

There was a sudden knock on the door and Lillian smiled and scurried to answer it. Kai sat on the bed, silent. The waiting gave her time to overthink. What was she doing? This was a bad idea, she needed to forget it. Lillian probably didn't feel the same way anyway.

"What were you saying?" Lillian asked. She was walking back from the door with a letter in her hand. Kai assumed it was from someone Lillian knew, so she didn't ask.