Chapter 13

The next town was small and colorful, unlike the last one Lillian and Kai had stayed at. There were small shops lined up and down the street and a small sign as they entered with the ford Stoneglen, the name of the town, written across it in dark brown paint. As Lillian and Kai walked on the main road towards the hotel they would be spending two nights at, they wasted some time as they pointed out their favorite stores and ones that looked exciting. It didn't matter whether or not they wasted their time though, they had plenty of it.

"Awww look," Lillian exclaimed, "it's a bakery." She pointed to a little shop on the corner that was brown and blue. Kai's favorite smile appeared again and her whole body was filled with happiness.

"I haven't had cake in years," Kai laughed as she tore her eyes away from the small shop and back towards the sidewalk ahead.

"Well, I guess we'll just have to get you some then after we check-in of course," Lillian responded with a smile. Kai nodded her head in agreement and they continued walking.

"Ooo," Kai pointed, "A bookstore." A wave of curiosity and excitement filled her body as she thought of looking at new books.

Lillian giggled, "Of course you would get excited over a bookstore," she playfully bumped Kai's shoulder. "You softy."

"Hey! You told me yourself that you prefer reading to people, so don't give me that," Kai joked. She rolled her eyes and tried not to laugh.

"Okay, you got me there," Lillian confessed, her smile didn't falter.

"What can I say," Kai replied smitten, "I love to read."

"It's cute," Lillian mumbled, her voice so quiet Kai barely heard it.

They both blushed and Kai wanted to grab her hand right there and then, but she knew it wouldn't be safe. She was on a mission and she needed to stick to it, or at least pretend to.

"Hey," Kai blurted out, "Why don't we spend the day walking around the town and enjoying civilization before we head back to the woods."

"Are you sure we have the time? I would hate to run off of schedule," Lillian asked. She turned her head towards Kai.

"And I hate to spend another day in the forest right after we got out," Kai laughed, "yes, we are fine on time, don't worry."

"Okay, then I think that is a perfect idea," Lillian replied.

And that became the plan, spend the day in the town and enjoy each other's company.

* * *

"Okay, so far we have stopped at the bookstore, bakery, clothing store, and coffee shop, and you still wanna keep looking around." Kai laughed. Her arms were empty, but her feet were tired. They probably walked the same amount if they were in the forest, but shopping was more fun.

"Duh," Lillian responded with a laugh, "It has only been two hours and there still is so much to explore."

"Oh yeah, Only TWO hours," Kai exclaimed, she began to laugh harder.

Lillian playfully smacked her shoulder, "shut it," she smiled.

"I just think it's cute," Kai replied, as a blush erupted across Lillian's cheeks.

Kai was getting tired of walking but not of Lillian. When they reached the hotel, they checked in without any hiccups. They had dropped off their bags in their hotel rooms and briskly left to explore the town.

They had walked across one side of the main road, stopping at the bookstore, bakery, clothing store, and a rustic coffee shop. Kai was the most excited about the bookstore and spent the better part of half an hour looking around the books and adding to her reading list.