Chapter 19

Kai led Lillian across the final stream on their hike for that day. They held their hands tightly and Lillian carefully maneuvered her body across. She stepped on the last rock and took a tiny hop to the grass. They continued to hold hands as they walked through the forest. Once crossed they walked past a few more trees until the small buildings that were in the town of Southwood began to appear. This was the last village they were staying at. After this, they would camp once more, and finally, they would reach the castle. Kai was running out of time to iron out their plan of escape.

As they reached the ends of the forest and were in view of others, Lillian turned towards Kai and gave her one of her spirit-lifting smiles. Kai knew what this meant, and Kai gave her a smile in return. They slowly let go of each other's hands and continued walking. Their hands continued to secretly and swiftly brush against each other whenever they could, but it wasn't enough for her. She wanted the feeling of her hand engulfed in hers, the feeling of crease against crease, and skin against skin. She thought the warmth was magnified when their hands were connected. But instead, she was filled with longing and cold, due to the loss of contact.

Kai hated letting go but she understood the reason behind it. There were many layers about their relationship if one could even call it that. They had never become official. Nonetheless, there were still many layers. For one, they both were citizens of rival kingdoms, Kai knew it was stupid but she couldn't help her feelings. Another was that Kai had a mission and it wasn't to grow feelings for Lillian. And finally, they were both women. Sadly, no one was very welcoming of the idea of women dating other women, in people's eyes it wasn't natural. Kai had learned this a while back during her training. It had resulted in a bit harsher punishment, and Kai didn't want to push it. So they kept whatever they were quiet.

They reached town and headed straight for the little hotel on the corner. It was a brown and gray building with, from Kai's counting, four floors. On the outside, there was a large sign right above the door with the words, The Argo Hotel. There was a sidewalk leading up the entrance and Lillian walked up to the door.

"Hello, welcome to the Argo Hotel," A woman with short brown hair said behind the front desk.

"Hi, we would like to check-in for rooms," Lillian said with a smile. Kai stood behind her and let Lillian do the talking.

"Okay, and how many rooms?" The woman questioned as she began to write into her large leather book.

Weird energy filled the air and Kai became uncomfortable with the situations at hand. They had never been asked how many rooms they needed before. Lillian turned towards Kai and her eyes said it all, it was Kai's smile. She thought about it for a second, what was the worst that could happen? A subtle smile slowly grew onto Kai's face and Lillian understood and smiled in return.

"We will take one please," Lillian revealed, the smile still present on her face. Kai looked at the floor in hopes to hide her blushing and glowing smile.

The woman looked up and only for a second gave them a confused and concerned look, but nonetheless continued by saying, "Okay, check out is at eleven am," she continued with more details but Kai began to fade out. She let Lillian handle all the other information and questions, she trusted her. All she could think about was the idea of her and Lillian cuddling in bed and spending lots of time together. It was a dream.

Soon, she was brought out of her thoughts and dreams when a warm hand touched her hand and started to pull her away. Kai's eyes came back to focus and she saw Lillian walking next to her still smiling.

"Come on, love let's get you to the room," Lillian gushed as she walked Kai to their room. Kai liked that name, it felt personal and cozy. Something in her stomach lit again and she let it. She liked the nickname "love."