Chapter XIX: Comfort

Third Person POV

"Elkie... I don't know anymore" The girl whispered to herself. It was Shu.

As Shuhua hears the approaching footsteps outside the restroom, her heart races with a mixture of anticipation and anxiety. She knows it's Elkie, following her to the comfort room. 

Without a moment's hesitation, Shuhua rushes to one of the cubicles, her mind racing with a numbers different possibilities of how to conceal herself from her lover.

But in her haste, Shuhua's hand reaches out and grasps the door handle of the wrong cubicle. With a gasp of surprise, she accidentally pushes open the door, revealing Miyeon standing frozen inside.

Time seems to stand still as Shuhua and Miyeon lock eyes, the air thick with tension and unspoken words. 

Despite the awkwardness of the situation, Shuhua continues inside Miyeon's cubicle, her heart pounding in her chest.

With trembling hands, Shuhua reaches out and locks the door behind them, the click echoing loudly in the confined space. 

Miyeon remains rooted to the spot, her gaze fixed on Shuhua, her mind a whirlwind of conflicting emotions.

Outside, Elkie's footsteps grow louder as she approaches the restroom, her presence a constant reminder of the fragile balance hanging between Shuhua and Miyeon. But as quickly as she came, Elkie leaves without so much as a glance inside the cubicles, leaving Shuhua and Miyeon alone in their silent sanctuary.

Tension hangs heavy in the air as Shuhua and Miyeon stand face to face, the distance between them both physical and emotional. For Miyeon, the weight of her suppressed feelings becomes almost unbearable, the longing in her heart threatening to spill over. 

Meanwhile, Shuhua is also consumed by conflicting emotions, torn between the desire to be alone with Miyeon and the uncertainty of what that might mean.

Miyeon's mind also whirls with conflicting thoughts. Part of her wants to leave, to escape the tension and uncertainty of the situation. But another part of her hesitates, torn between her desire to stay and confront her feelings, and her instinct to retreat from the discomfort.

Just as Miyeon finally decides to leave, she feels Shuhua's hand gently grasp hers, preventing her from going. Startled, Miyeon looks down, meeting Shuhua's gaze with a mixture of surprise and confusion.

"Why did you leave earlier?" Shuhua's voice is soft, filled with genuine curiosity and a hint of sadness. Her question hangs in the air, pleading for an answer, as she waits for Miyeon's response.

Miyeon was still frozen at her spot.

"Miyeon, I've noticed something lately," Shuhua speaks again, her voice soft but filled with curiosity. "It feels like you're avoiding me, like there's something awkward between us. And every time you want to say something, you hesitate."

Her gaze searching, Shuhua's eyes meet Miyeon's, silently pleading for an explanation. There's a genuine curiosity in Shuhua's tone, as if she's trying to unravel a mystery that's been puzzling her for some time.

Shuhua's voice cuts through the heavy silence once more, her tone gentle yet persistent. "Miyeon, why did you ask me if I remember you?"

Miyeon's eyes widen in shock, her heart pounding in her chest like a drumbeat of panic. Her carefully constructed facade begins to crumble as Shuhua's question hits her like a lightning bolt, stirring up a whirlwind of emotions she's been trying desperately to suppress.

Caught off guard, Miyeon feels as though she's standing on the edge of a precipice, her carefully guarded secrets teetering on the brink of exposure. The truth, like a dormant volcano, threatens to erupt from her lips at any moment, unleashing a torrent of confessions she's been holding back for far too long.