Stand by you

You entered the house, following Severus as he walked around the now destroyed place with heavy footsteps. You and him were former Death Eaters and tonight was the night the Dark Lord was going to kill Harry due to a prophecy he heard, or due to a part of a prophecy he was informed of.

Severus had pleaded Voldemort to spare Lily Potter from death as you knew he was deeply in love with her. Lily was also your friend, you went to school together and actually attended her wedding with James as Maid of Honour.

You feared for your friend's life, both Lily and James but also their son, Harry.

Tension filled the atmosphere as you saw a body lying on the stairs, Severus stopped for a moment in his tracks, so you walked towards the stairs only to be met by James' body.

With tears clouding your vision, you pressed a finger to his neck. A sigh escaped your lips as you stood up and faced the dark-haired man standing behind you

"He's dead." you said. Your voice, surprisingly, didn't crack when you said that. But Severus had known you for so long that he could see the pain behind your (e/c) eyes that now glistened with tears.

With a shaky breath, you faced the stairs once more and started to climb them, mirroring Severus' steps a moment ago.

You knew he was following you as a thunder was heard and his shadow appeared in front of you.

The both of you walked to the room where baby cries could be heard, you stepped inside just to see Lily lying on the floor, dead.

This time you couldn't keep the tears in your eyes so they rolled down your cheeks freely. You felt as if the world was spinning around you and nausea crept at the bottom of your stomach from the pain.

But then, you heard a sob from behind you and when you turned around, you saw Severus had collapsed against the wall, crying heavily as he stared at Lily's corpse.

You tried to swallow the lump on your throat as you approached him, your steps felt as if you were walking in snow. You put a hand on his head as his eyes were still glued to Lily. "You are not alone, Severus" you said in a low voice, running your hand through his black hair.

This only made more tears stream down his pale cheeks "It's going to be okay." you said as you let some tears fall.

You felt how his hands went to your waist, embracing you tightly as you stood in front of him, he buried his face in your stomach as he cried "I'm here Sev." you whispered, your voice cracking a little at the last part. "I'm always here for you."

You've never seen Severus cry before, and you are not sure you are going to witness it any other time. His persona has always been so intimidating and strong but now, in this exact moment, he was vulnerable but he didn't care it was you who saw him like this, pouring his heart out with bitter tears over the dead corpse of the woman he loved deeply.

Your heart felt even heavier when you heard him mutter "I loved her (y/n)." you already knew this but hearing the words coming from his lips only made more tears escape your (e/c) orbs. Severus Snape wasn't a person you would fall in love with immediately but somehow, you fell for him hard and you realized this in your fifth year of school.

You already knew his heart beated for Lily but you could not help but fall in love with him. That's one of the reasons you became a Death Eater, to be with him. You would go to hell and back if it meant you would be with Severus.

He brought you back to reality when he squeezed your waist as his tears rolled down his face uncontrollably "I know Severus, I know." you said, still running your silked fingers through his hair. Trying to bring him some sort of comfort on this awful night.

|•🐍❤️🐍🖤🐍❤️🐍•|

That night, you helped Severus to his house in Spinner's End, you apparated you both there but he didn't utter a word. He was in some kind of trance, he wasn't crying anymore but his eyes were red and puffy.

You swallowed your own tears, deciding you'd mourn your friends alone, not wanting to disturb Severus, you needed to be strong for him, be there for him like the others countless times you've been by his side.

"I'm going to bed." he muttered before disappearing up the stairs. You watched him climb the stairs with heavy steps but when he was at the top of them, you said "I'll be here if you need anything."

He turned to look at you, his eyes full of tears, mirroring yours but neither of you made the first move to run into each other's arms and seek comfort in the other. He eyed your form, your (e/c) eyes glistening with tears, your lower lips trembling a littles, your (f/c) shirt was stained with his tears and with a small smile he said "Thank you (y/n)."

If Severus had stayed another second contemplating you, he would have seen the crystalline tear that rolled slowly down your already wet cheek.

Standing in the middle of Severus' living room you watched him enter what you supposed was his bedroom. When he closed the door, you walked towards the couch, where you collapsed from exhaustion, both emotionally and physically.

Your mind still couldn't get the fact that the Potters were dead, memories of your days in school flashed through your mind but this time, you let yourself cry as it is said that it's a process of mourning for someone. You let your tears fall freely and you cried and cried, wanting nothing more than to have your friends back.

Loud sobs escaped your lips but you couldn't keep them to yourself anymore, you needed to cry and you assumed Severus was doing the same in his room.

|•🐍❤️🐍🖤🐍❤️🐍•|

Severus woke up early in the morning, the Sun hadn't yet raisen but the Potions Master couldn't get back to sleep so he got up from his soft bed. When he remembered what happened last night, his heart felt heavy but no more tears were shared as he felt that he didn't have any left.

Slowly, he walked downstairs to be met by the still dark house but what surprised him more was to see you asleep on his couch. He would be lying if he said he didn't hear your cries last night but he couldn't bring himself to go downstairs and comfort you just as you did back at the house.

Severus approached your sleeping form silently, he saw your tear-stained cheeks and he also noticed how your body was exhausted. There were still small drops of tears resting on your eyelids. The Potions Master couldn't help himself but admire your form, how you trusted him enough to fall asleep on his couch or you were just tired that you didn't mind. Either way, you were there for him, you stayed there to see if he needed something and now, it was Severus' turn to care for the person that has been by his side since school. It's his time to be there for you and console you, as both of you were mourning for the loss of Lily and you were also mourning for James. It was his turn to be your shoulder to cry.

You stood next to him in every part of his life, now it was his turn to stand by you.

1297 words