Love never dies

Soft rain poured down from the gray sky as you stared out of the window with tears glistening your (e/c) orbs. Today marks exactly a year since you hadn't seen your husband. To say you missed him was beyond words as your heart screamed for him. You were aching to see him, hear his voice, feel his touch.

A single tear escaped your eye, rolling down your cheek slowly mirroring the tiny drops that rolled down the window as you remembered one of your peaceful evenings with him.

The cracking of the fireplace was the only sound at the small house at Spinner's End apart from the sound of pages turning now and then. You were reading a book while you sat in Severus' lap as he too, was reading something.

He had one arm around your waist while the other held his book, your feet were stretched over the cushion but even if it could be seen as an uncomfortable position for the both of you, neither of you dared to move.

Suddenly, you gasped slightly as you got to a very interesting part of the novel you were reading, making Severus look down at you as your eyes travelled really fast along the words you were reading. And as you were so captivated by the story, you didn't notice the little smirk that appeared on your husband's lips before he snatched your book from your hands, making you look up at him in surprise.

"Severus give it back!"

You demanded, wanting to read your novel as it was getting really interesting.

"I'm sorry, dear but it seems that you are giving this book more attention than your loving husband."

You looked at Severus with a confused expression until you laughed at his antics before you kissed him softly on the lips, still sitting on his lap.

"Never, my love."

You murmured softly against his lips once you two parted from each other

The memory flashed in front of you in a mere second, not giving you enough time to grasp onto it.

It's been a year, 365 days of agony, of loneliness, how have you managed to survive without your loving husband next to you, you had no idea. The only thing that kept you going, that kept the flame in your heart still burning was his promise, a promise he made to you exactly a year ago.

"You can't do this to me, Severus!"

You exclaimed as tears ran down your cheeks. The look you gave him would be forever engraved in his heart as it was one of pure hurt and sadness, betrayal even. He walked towards you, holding you close to him as you cried in his chest.

"You can't leave me."

Your voice came out as a mere whisper, but Severus was quick to catch your words. His arms tightened around your figure as it was difficult to leave you behind, leave your side to complete his duty for the Wizarding World. He separated from the embrace, his large hands cupped your face delicately

"Listen to me, (y/n). I promise you I'll come back to you but please, please... just wait for me."

His dark eyes looked down at your (e/c) ones, filled with urgency and desperation but behind those layers of emotions, you saw the love he held for you, the need to protect you as your husband. How he cared for you and only you.

The tears rolled down your cheeks as you looked up at him. You would wait for him for a thousand years only if you had the certainty that he was going to be back in your arms.

"Come back to me, Severus. Don't leave me."

Your voice cracked at the last sentence but you never broke eye contact with him. Then, you felt how his lips pressed against yours in a sweet kiss. You tasted your own tears and probably his too as he pressed you harder against him. One hand cradled the back of your neck while the other went down to your waist. Your hands rested on his shoulders as you kissed him back with passion and love.

"I'll come back to you, my love. Always."

You didn't realise you were crying until you sniffled, wiping your stained cheeks with the back of your hand. You glanced out of the window for a last time before turning around and going up the stairs and into your bedroom, the one you used to share with Severus.

You never dared to sleep on his side, silently hoping he'd come home at night and cradle you in his arms as many other nights you spent together since you two got married.

As you put on one of his shirts he left in the house, you snuggled on the covers, inhaling his scent of peppermint and his lotions with the smell that was just him.

Silent tears escaped your eyes before sleep consumed you totally and you fell asleep, waiting for Severus.

---

A week later you were in the kitchen, baking some pie as it was Wednesday and Mrs. Turner, the neighbor, always came for tea at five o'clock. She kept you company when you felt too alone by yourself in the house you shared with your husband.

It was quarter to five in the evening and you had just pulled out the pie from the oven when you heard the front door open. Thinking it was just Mrs. Turner you stayed lowered in front of the oven.

You were wearing your mittens so as to not get burned. A smile was painted on your face as you turned around with the pie in your hands.

"I made the tea you li-"

But your sentence got stuck in your throat as your eyes locked on the person standing in your living room. The pie slipped from your hands, smashing on the floor but you couldn't care less as there, in front of you, was standing your husband.

Severus' eyes went down to the pie you dropped before his dark pools returned to your figure. You stayed glued to your spot for five seconds before your body reacted and you ran towards Severus. Launching yourself in his arms before he caught you and spinned you in the air.

You couldn't believe this was happening, you couldn't believe he was back. After many nights hoping he would be back home, back to you he was finally again by your side.

When your feet touched the ground, you didn't hesitate to smash your lips with his in a passionate kiss.

Severus kissed you back instantly, desiring you as much as you wanted him. You melted in his arms as he put his arms around you, cradling your head in one of his large hands to press you further into him as your hands went to the back of his neck.

Only when the need of air was too much for the both of you is when you parted from the kiss. You didn't realise you were crying until you felt his hands rest on your cheeks, wiping your salty tears with his thumbs.

"You're back."

The words came out as a mere whisper but he heard them clearly.

"I promised, didn't I?"

You chuckled at his response before pressing your forehead against his, gazing into his beautiful orbs. Starless galaxies as you liked to call them.

"I've missed you, Severus."

Tears glistened in his eyes as he looked down at you.

"And I've missed you, my love. So much... so much."

He then pulled you into him, pressing you against his chest as he rested his chin over your head, inhaling the sweet scent of your hair. As he was finally back with you, in your arms, where he belonged as well as your place in life was right next to him. For now and forever, with an immortal love as deep as the sea and as infinite as the universe itself.

1333 words