[38]

It didn't take too long for Y/N to get back up on her feet once again, though she still obtained a slight limp within her step. In fact, she was back on the job, too, under Schlatt's management. Patrolling by the borders, keeping everything in check, following given orders - basic guard duty. She didn't mind too much, however, as it gave her a proper opportunity to take in how different the lands were now, and boy had they changed. Now that the walls were gone, the land appeared to be far more vast, far more 'welcoming' as the 'Big Guy' would say. She figured it was just him trying to obtain as much power as he can have - and by having greater lands, he would have that. Dictatorship, and whatnot.

Whilst these tasks weren't the worst she could've been given, her mind was also plenty distracted by a certain someone from a certain couple of days ago. In fact, he never really left, despite having very clearly left her sights since that day. He lived up there rent-free. She just couldn't really wrap her mind with all that had happened in the span of what only could have been 20 minutes, or so, at least. Her ideas of him changed much during that time period, if they hadn't already beforehand after Drista. She was sure she was really getting to know the guy, even if it were little fragments of information at a time. Hell, he even told her his name - despite her already knowing.

But they weren't the only things plaguing her mind about those 20 minutes.

The kiss. The almost-kiss, too. It truly made her wonder what might've happened if Tommy didn't interrupt. Would they have closed that distance fully? Would they've chickened out? Would it've... gone further? The more she thought about it, the longer it ached her head. Now that didn't necessarily mean 'further' meant anything extreme... but the idea of doing anything more than just a kiss made her stomach turn and fold. She'd never in a million years imagine herself in a situation like this a year prior, especially with her ideals set straight back then. But 'ideals' can change, right? They don't have to stay set in stone.

(srry ace readers if I just ruined your day or something, but don't get the wrong idea, as Y/N said, doesn't have to be 'extreme' lmaoo. The extent of 'extreme' is completely up to all of you, keep that in mind.)

All she knew was, whatever happened with... Clay that night wouldn't just pass off as a moment of possible misdirection. Whether it turns into something more or into something forgotten, however, remained a mystery.

Her trail of thought was cut short by the sound of approaching footsteps - loud and rapid - easily recognised as running. Who, was the bigger question. Y/N spun, her sword unsheathing as a sign of precaution, before relaxing simultaneously upon the sight advancing. His brown locks bounced with his movement, his suit slightly untidy and disoriented to how it was usually. He didn't seem too panicked or stressed, as she expected, so she figured he must've been here to bring her attention to something. Or someone.

"What's up, Tubs?" She smiled, inserting her weapon back in its rightful place by her hip. The boy in question doubled over slightly, hands on knees as he devoured air in an attempt to regain his breath. Sweat dripped from his brow, evidence of his clear exasperation. Poor kid must've ran a mile, if not more. Patting his shoulder, Y/N sent the boy a sympathetic glance as he regained his ability to breathe steadily and straightened himself out. He met her eyes.

"Schlatt. Speech. 50 minutes..."

Was all he managed to breathe out before wheezing slightly from using his vocals. Glancing up in the direction he had approached from, Y/N's eyes squinted at the White House in the far distance, quietly examining it as her brain ticked thoughtfully.

Meeting? She was never usually invited to these events due to patrol, and if she were invited to one now then that could only mean one thing. Something big was going to happen. 'What' was the question, though. In all honesty, it isn't like Schlatt to host these sorts of speeches, being the lazy man he was - usually it would just be someone like Fundy or even Quackity speaking on his behalf, from what she heard. If it was him doing the talking now, well...