.13

As much as they attempted to stay connected in two different locations, Camryn and Steve both found it increasingly difficult. Between their busy schedules, and Steve's struggles with technology, it was hard to find a minute to talk.

It wasn't necessarily his fault. He knew how to use his phone. He knew how to text and how to make a call, but every time he attempted to, everything always seemed to go wrong. Steve was becoming convinced technology simply hated him and was against him, no matter how ridiculous it sounded.

It had been a month since Steve had seen Camryn in person, and boy had he been missing her. His days just seemed so dull when she wasn't around. There was less to do, it seemed, even if he knew that wasn't true. All the same TV shows and movies were there, all the things on his list he still needed to do. But without Camryn it just didn't feel right.

So when he got his orders that he was being transferred he was ecstatic. He knew it would be the perfect time to surprise Camryn.

He hoped she had missed him as much as he had her.

It was how he had found himself at her apartment, which conveniently was located just beneath his. He assumed Shield likely had something to do with that. It couldn't be a coincidence that they had been placed so close to each other once again.

Camryn was blissfully unaware that Steve was right outside her door. She laughed as Wyatt tickled her sides, looking at the door when she heard a knock.

"Wyatt, stop," she laughed, swatting his hands away as she tried to stand up. "I have to get the door."

"Awe, do you gotta?" He asked with a laugh. He held his hands up in surrender as Camryn moved to the door. He wasn't worried. He had Camryn wrapped around his pinky.

Camryn opened the door, her smile falling when she saw Steve.

"Steve?" She asked softly. "W–What are you doing here?"

"Hey, doll." He smiled. He didn't process that she didn't seem entirely thrilled to see him. He wrapped her in a tight hug, one she took a moment to return. "I got transferred to DC. Isn't that great?"

"Uh, yeah, yeah. That's great Steve." She said, her enthusiasm not matching his as she pulled away from the hug.

"Who is it babe?" Wyatt called from the living room.

The voice and pet name made Steve's smile falter, and it had completely dropped by the time Wyatt was standing behind Camryn's shoulder.

"Who's this?" Wyatt asked, a grin on his face as he slung his arm over Camryn's shoulder's. It was unnecessary, but Wyatt was showing that Camryn was his.

"Steve Rogers. A friend of mine." She explained softly, even though she knew Wyatt knew Captain America. Practically everyone did, especially within Steve.

"Steve, this is Wyatt. My..." she trailed off awkwardly. She was hyper-aware of how she had basically told Steve she didn't date.

"Boyfriend." Wyatt finished for her, offering his hand to Steve. "Wyatt Esper. Shield Behavioral Analyst."

Steve reluctantly shook Wyatt's hand. "I'm Steve. But I think you knew that." He said softly. He felt betrayed. Had she lied about the no dating rule she had? Could he have taken his shot long ago?

"So, you got transferred?" Camryn asked, feeling the tension and trying to change the topic.

"Yeah. I was going to surprise you." Steve replied, looking at her. It had only been a month. How had he managed to lose her in a month? He wasn't sure, but he was more upset with himself than anything.