.08

It had been days since Steve's first Shield mission, and once they had arrived back at their apartment building, Camryn hadn't spoken a single word to the man. She was being petty, she knew that, but she also didn't care too much. She needed time to come to terms with the situation before she could hold a conversation with Steve, which unfortunately left the poor man in the dark.

Ever since the mission, Steve had been left wondering what he had done to anger Camryn so much. He hadn't meant to, and it was discouraging to him as he felt like he had already lost the only person he had really connected with in the twenty-first century.

Deep down he knew he wasn't at fault, and after replaying everyone of their conversations he knew there was nothing he had done to make her mad, but he couldn't help but feel guilty.

He was smart enough to know though that he had to wait for Camryn to make the first move. He had stopped attempting to make contact with her after the first day of radio silence, and after some convincing, he knew she ultimately had to apologize to him for her behavior.

He just had to be patient, which was luckily one of his strong suits when it came to women. He just hoped Camryn didn't leave him hanging.

It was another two long days before there was a knock on his door, and Steve knew there was no one else it could be. His super soldier hearing may have aided him as well.

"Hey," she said softly when he opened the door. "Look, I think we have a few things we need to talk about. Mind if I come in?"

"Depends. Are you going to tell me what's going on? Or are you going to continue to ice me out? Because trust me, I've had enough ice to last me a lifetime." He said, opening the door wider for her to step inside.

"I'm here to talk." She assured him, laughing nervously. "I owe you an explanation anyhows, so yeah..."

Camryn had never been great at apologizing. Even if she was younger she would do everything to avoid it. She hated being wrong, especially if it was her sister outsmarting her.

But Steve wasn't her sister, and she knew he hadn't intentionally done anything. He didn't do anything to deserve her silent treatment, and she wasn't that same little girl anymore.

"I'm not mad at you specifically, I promise." She started out. "I'm more frustrated with the situation, and quite honestly, Fury."

Steve took a seat on his couch and motioned for her to join him, deciding to stay quiet for the time being. He would see what she had to say first.

"Ever since I was a kid I've kinda been outshined by my siblings. My sister was the super smart one, my older brother was the athletic one, and Chris... he was just everyone's favorite. He just kind of had this air about him that made everyone love him. Me? Not so much." She sighed. "My entire life I've had to work really hard to get my fair share, to get where I am today. I joined Shield when I was thirteen, and I have fought every day to get where I am."

She paused, taking a breath.

"When I found out you were just... handed your position, it hurt, and I don't like showing it, so it makes me mad. And I have no right to be mad. No right to be upset, because you weren't just handed it. Not really. You went through all your own stuff to get where you are too..."

"But in the heat of the moment it seemed like I didn't deserve what I got?" Steve finished for her. "Camryn, I never meant to undermine you, or try to outshine you or anything."

"I know, I know. And that's why it's stupid, and why I'm apologizing." She said. "I'm sorry for getting mad. I'm sorry for not being as professional as I should have on the mission, and I'm sorry for treating you horribly these last couple of days. Will you forgive me?"