Seven

There were several policemen surrounding her as she was escorted to the police cars. She didn't speak a word. They put her inside and then went to the police station.

This was a small town. Smaller than a metropolitan. Layla was almost sure after getting the call from that American guy, all of the officers stormed to the mall to detain her. Because she was a threat.

A threat that bought alcohol, PlayStation, and a kindle.

She didn't bother with the police and followed their every order. If she stepped out of the line then she'd be the one paying the price on the extent.

As she was watching outside and the siren filled her ears, she reeled in a deep breath. She had been arrested. Again. Because she was a fucking terrorist.

No matter what she had done, what she was doing, and what she would do, she'd always be a terrorist in their eyes. She was used to that, being called that, being hated, being perceived as a threat most of the time.

She had lived all of her life that way.

She wasn't even that concerned about herself that much. She had told Loki to call Tony. And even if he didn't she was almost sure the police would give her a phone call. If they didn't, they'd bound to get a call anyway since they'd be reporting her arrest.

Loki was her concern. They were together and now she was detained. There was no way of knowing what he'd do now. She was the barrier between him and his possible plans. Thor and all the others were hours away.

He could run free. He could cause havoc. He could do any goddamn thing he wanted now and she wouldn't be able to stop him.

Not unless she broke out of these handcuffs and the police station, which wouldn't help her at all in the long run.

They wouldn't care that she'd stopped Loki, they'd just use it as an excuse to bring her down even further. Blame it on her.

There was nothing she could do. She sucked it up and waited until they got to the station.

The police put her into an interrogation room. She was alone there for a couple of minutes before someone walked in.

Based on the way she walked and handled herself, Layla assumed it was the captain. She put the file she was holding to the desk and sat down across from her.

"Layla Wilson," the woman said, "I'm the Chief Sheriff Johansen. I must say, I didn't expect to find someone like you in our town. I couldn't believe it when the call arrived,"

She forced out a smile. "This is all a big misunderstanding," she replied. She knew it had low chances of working but she was going to take it.

"Oh, I'm sure," the Chief said, pouting her lips. "I watch your American shows. This is how it usually goes over the ocean, right? This is all a big misunderstanding, you've got the wrong guy, this is a mistake,"

Layla upped her brows. So, it wasn't going to work. "The man I was with, where is he now?"

"You mean the hostage you were keeping? He's safe and that's all I'll allow you to know," she said. Layla pressed her lips together.

They thought Loki was his hostage? Out of everyone in the fucking universe the God of Mischief was her goddamn hostage?

"Oh, yeah. My hostage. I'm sure he seemed so frightened with his milkshake too," she snapped. She was done playing nice. Maybe she couldn't use her powers and bust out but she wouldn't be subjected to this kind of treatment anymore.

The Sheriff gave her a look. "You are a fugitive. A criminal. Are you not?" she asked. "I'm not," Layla replied, words falling out of her mouth viciously.