two, loverboy

Jasmine wished she could wake up to an alarm clock rather than a baby screaming. But, as they say, beggars can't be choosers.

Jasmine groaned as she pulled herself off her bed. She walked slowly over to Naya, who was crying over her binky falling out of her mouth.

Jasmine put the binky back in Naya's mouth and listened to the sweet silence that followed after. She gentley picked Naya out of her crib and swayed around with her. Jasmine checked the clock on her side table that read '7:39'. She didn't have work since it was a Monday, plus it was the last couple days of Summer.

"Hey, dad!" Jasmine yelled while walking out of her room, still holding Naya, "Is the milk still fresh? I'm gonna run a couple errands later."

Jasmine walked into the living room that was more like a larger bedroom.

"Dad?" She asked, walking back past her room to her dads', "You here?" She asked, peeking through the doorway.

Where the hell would he be this early in the morning?

Jasmine walked back to her room and got out clothes for both her and Naya. She made sure that they both looked presentable and strapped Naya to her stomach. She looked comfortable enough, so she exited the room and took out her phone to call her dad.

People made fun of her at school because of how she didn't have a 'real phone'. She had a Flip phone, which was, conventionally, embarrasing, but it didn't really faze her. She didn't really care about her physical appearance in the eyes of others. But, that didn't mean the nasty remarks didn't make her blood boil.

She dialed her Dad's number and waited till she heard her Dad's voice on the other line.

"Hey, sweetheart. What's wrong?" Her dad asked.

"Where are you? It's almost 8 P.M.. Why are you out so early?"

"Is that Jasmine?" Jasmine heard Miguel's voice from afar, "Hey, Jasmine!"

Jasmine smiled as she walked to her bike in the parking lot.

"Are you guys in the Valley?" Jasmine asked.

"Yeah, we're at the strip mall." Johnny told her.

"Great, I'll see you there." Jasmine said before hanging up without saying goodbye.

She was just about to sit on her bike before she heard a voice call out to her.

"Goodmorning, Jasmine!" Miguel's mother yelled from her doorway. Even if Jasmine was one hundred miles away, Carmen Diaz would still sound like a car horn in her ear.

"Miss Diaz!" Jasmine greeted back with a smile, walking to Carmen quickly, "Goodmorning."

Once they were close enough, Carmen started the conversation.

"Are you sure it's safe to drive around on that bike with Naya?" Carmen asked, pointing to Naya.

"O-Oh, yeah, of course. I do it all the time." Jasmine assured her.

"Oh, alright. Just wanted to make sure." Carmen laughed, "Where are you heading off too?"

"Uh, to the strip mall." Jasmine said nonchalantly, "My Dad's there. Also, how did you know her name? Did Miguel tell you Naya's name?"

"Oh, Miguel told me a lot about you and your family. But, mostly you. I think he has a crush." Carmen said the last sentence in a sing-song voice.

Jasmine laughed and turned her head as she felt her face heat up. She laughed a bit before turning her head back.

"No, Miss Diaz, I don't think it's a serious crush. It's probably just hormones." Jasmine laughed and tucked a short piece of hair behind her ear.