Chapter 3

I realise that Rihan woke up. He was sitting up on the sofa looking confused. He then looked at me.

"I did not know what to do with you. So..." I said. Dragging him to the Taxi and then till my apartment was so difficult. He is not fat, then why does he weigh so much!

For a second, he was still confused, taking in the situation. Then horror dawned on his face. "Ishi, I am totally sorry. I didn't mean to be such a nuisance...."

I took a glass of neembu pani and set it on the table in front of him. "For the hangover," I said.

He looked totally embarrassed.

"And don't apologise." I sat across from him. "Tell me what happened?" I am dying of curiosity. I tried to call Suhani earlier, but she was not picking up. I am worried about her too.

Rihan moved a hand through his hair. And looked down.

"She slept with a guy from work." He said softly, plainly.

Oh, My Goddess!!!

This is huge.

I had a thousand questions in my mind right now, but I was not sure this is the right time to ask them.

"Can I use your bathroom?" Rihan turned to me.

While he was inside, my mind was playing all kind of scenarios.

But Why? Why?

I mean, Suhani loves Rihan. I know it for a fact. This is messed up.

She won't.

She won't.

I felt betrayed too.

She is my best friend. They both are. But she especially. Because we are female? Sister bond?

I won't believe in this whole thing until I hear things in detail from her. She won't just sleep with some random guy.

Rihan stepped out. "I guess I will have to go home." He said.

"Your apartment? No, I mean; you mentioned last night about you are losing home..."

He looked so hurt that it broke me. I have never seen him that hurt. "I have to get my stuff," He said with difficulty. We stood in silence for a while. "Bye then," he said after. "Thanks for... last night or... whatever." This was so awkward. I realise that I have never been alone with Rihan in a house before. Well obviously,... Why would I be alone with a guy who is not my boyfriend, who is my best friend's boyfriend- in a house? Duh!

He was about to go when I said, "wait."

Partly, I just could not send him back there alone. The other part... Just wanted to have a word with my best friend.

We silently walked through the corridor to Apartment 407. Rihan hesitated at the door. I could not bear to see the pain. So I stepped up and rang the calling bell.

A guy opened. A guy I have never seen before.

I saw colour leave from Rihan's face.

"Oh..." the guy said. "I am sorry. I just came to check on her. Because she was not answering her phone and..." he looked so guilty and lost, "I... I was worried." Now that I notice, the guy looked young. Not too young. But like 24-25ish. And he had an innocent face. "I'll... I will leave." He said. "Sorry. Really..."

He stepped outside and walked away. I turned back to see Suhani in the living room. She was looking at Rihan. He was looking at her. The sense of betrayal clear in his face. And I could see the silent communication that needed no words because of years of companionship.

And both looked so much in pain. Suhani's eyes filled up and she started to cry again.

Rihan walked in and went to their bedroom. I could see him getting a travel suitcase. He started packing his things. Suhani fell down to the floor and continued to sob.

I just watched her.

I could not believe she is the same girl.... My best friend.

"Is it true?" I asked. She looked at me. I wanted to hear it from her. "Is it true that you slept with some other guy?"

She nodded.

"Not even a kiss, but sex?" I asked.

"Yeah," She sounded lost.

I could not contain my anger.

"It's bullshit if you say 'it was a mistake'. It happened on a whim... No. It does not work that way... Sex is something you do on purpose." I yelled at her. "Unless you were raped. You were not I guess..."

"I did it on purpose. Yes." She said calmly. "Not a mistake. At least not in that sense. I enjoyed it and wanted to do it."I could only frown. I saw Rihan's hand go tighter on the suitcase. He was barely holding it in... I was worried if he will walk out and slap her.

"Yeah, I am a bad bitch. You guys can just hate me." Suhani said getting up while wiping her tears.

"Why?" I asked, unable to believe her. "Why Suhani?" I asked. "You love him." I pointed to the bedroom. "Don't tell me you don't. I know you do. Why would you do this?"

Suhani sat on the couch moved a hand through her long hair that looked so annoyingly beautiful even when it was all messed up. "I guess, I got bored." She said looking away. "The same every day. The same each day... The same breakfast, the same apartment, the same job, the same weekend Netflix movie, the same dinners, washing dishes, sweeping the house, the fucking same sex life..."

She looked at me, plainly.

"One night when I was under Ri, I just got this thought.... Is this how the rest of my life is going to be?" There was so boldness in her face. Kind of a rebellion...

For some reason...I was now seeing the 'why'...

"You should have broken up then... Not cheated." I mumbled.

"Who will let me break up with Ri?" She asked. "You guys? Rihan?" She shook her head. "You guys would never take me seriously..." Her head tilted a bit towards the bedroom. "My feelings were never taken seriously."

I did not have anything more to ask anymore. So I sat down on the floor. The silence was broken only by the ticking of the clock.

After a while, Rihan came out with his suitcase. And we left silently.

Chapter 3.5

"Thanks," I said to Ishi on the way.

"For what?" She asked.

For asking the question I did not dare to ask.