Epilogue

"Amma," I said to the phone, irritated. "I said I am fine. And please don't ask me to see Devi aunty's son or whoever. I don't plan to get married now."

"Then when do you plan to get married? You know you are not getting any younger."

"I don't want to marry," I said in English. Before I was speaking in Malayalam. Rihan who was doing his laundry looked at me.

"Bye. I will talk to you later." I cut the call. I set the phone away. I do not want to make things more awkward.

He came to me. "Parents are asking you to get married?" He asked.

"Yeah," They were always.

"Oh!" Rihan said. And is it my wishful thinking or not, he looked concerned. Worried.

"I am not getting married," I told him.

"But you wanted to." He reminded me.

"Yeah. I wanted to." I stressed. "I can't marry alone. Can I?"

I got up and went away avoiding his eyes.

A few days later I was at Rihan's house. We were cooking something, and we needed scissors to cut a packet. I went to his desk to get one. I did not see the scissors on the table and opened the drawer to his table. What immediately came to my view is a paper cover of a famous diamond brand.

I knew I should not pry... But I was just too curious. I peeked inside.

They looked very much like ring cases. And there were two cases inside. And that threw me off further. I mean two boxes??

I took one and opened it. It was a ring. A simple gold band with tiny diamonds crusted. Really my style of a ring. I tried to slide it into my finger. It was a perfect fit. I put it back.

I quickly opened the other one. It was a thin floral shaped one with a bigger diamond in the centre. A ring very much like what Suhani will like. And I could see that it is smaller than my finger. It would fit perfectly on Suhani's slender fingers.

"Ishi..."

I quickly put the rings cases back; grabbed the scissors and went back.

During our cook, I kept looking at him.

What is it? What is he planning? Why is there two? Is he confused between the two of us? Not knowing which one to propose to. Who does that?

"No..." I said aloud.

"What?" Rihan asked.

"Nothing."

"What's wrong? You look tensed..."

I just want clarification. And it is not in my nature to not confront things. "I saw the rings," I said. He looked embarrassed more than shocked.

"You were not supposed to see that." He rubbed the back of his neck.

I looked confused. "There were two..." I whispered.

Rihan jumped into attention at once. "Oh... The other one is not yours."

"I understood that." I looked down. "Are you unable to choose between us?"

"What?" He looked confused. "Why would I?" then realisation dawned on him. "Oh my god. No... Listen, Ishi, I did not buy that other ring now. I bought that ages ago. When I was with her. I just bought it at the store to know if I can exchange it... Or sell it. But they said I can't. They don't take it back at the store or something. So well I just bought your ring and put the old one in the same bag... I am so sorry."

I blinked feeling really stupid.

"You were not supposed to see it until tomorrow." He said making a cringe face. He walked to his table and got the ring and came to me. He took my hand and placed it on top. "I could get on my knee. But you hate events... So... I will just say this informally. Let's get married."

This is kind of insane. I cannot...even...

"Please..." he added.

I chuckled. And held my hand out. He slid the ring to my finger. He got up and kissed me.

The beginning of a lot more than 13 years.