Chapter 5

I tried as best as I could to hide my disappointment. I know I should be grateful, but Thomas was the one I really wanted an autograph from. I gathered my things and found my mom.

"How'd it go?" she asked. I plastered on a smile and gave her a thumbs up.

We walked to a restaurant next door and ate there. To my surprise, the actors were there too. Of course, they were surrounded by a couple of burly men. A few girls in surrounding booths shrieked as they looked over their shoulders and snapped pictures. I desperately wanted to do the same, but I didn't want to be grouped in with those girls. Which, weirdly enough, was my group. Shrieking fangirls- totally me.

My mom and I sat at a table on the other side of the restaurant, so it wasn't like they could see us anyway. I placed my unsigned Thomas Sangster picture on the corner of the table.

"Honey?" my mom asked, interrupting my thoughts. I look up at her.

"Yeah?" I reply. She lowers the menu she was holding but never breaks eye contact.

"Are you alright?"

I nod with intense exaggeration. "Yes, how couldn't I be? I just met my idols," I said with a half fake smile. Concern washed over my mothers face. "You haven't been saying much," she said, then pointed over her shoulder, a small smile forming on her face. "Did you see who came?" Her voice dropped to a whisper.

I nodded, and smiled again, trying to tell her that I'm fine. She peered at me with her "mischievous teenager" look, then continued scanning the menu.

Eventually our food came and I didn't eat very much. I was too focused on The Maze Runner cast. It wouldn't be long until they would leave and go surprise some more fans. I gazed at my meal of half eaten pork chop, a full plop of mashed potatoes, and a pile of vegetables. Bored, I picked up my fork and started playing with the peas on my plate. I looked up for a quick moment, and the cast were getting up from their seats. Then I peer over the faces and see Thomas look at me directly in the eyes, from the other side of the restaurant. A young teenage girl not squealing over their celebrity idols would be pretty rare to see too. I broke eye contact and looked back down at my plate.

My mom groaned in delight. "That was delicious," she said. I could feel her gaze travel over to me. "You've barely touched your plate," she said, pointing to my almost full plate.

I straightened up my back. "I wasn't very hungry," I moaned. Just then, I saw shadows pass by, and I looked over to my left. The cast was just leaving. Will came walking past next, then Aml, then Kaya, then Dylan, then-

I quickly looked back down at my plate. I could feel my cheeks heat up. Then Thomas Sangster walked by, his fresh scent of cologne splashing into my face. I heard him back up and he turned towards me. I hesitated to look up at the smiling face, but I did so anyway.

"How about I sign that for you?" he said motioning towards the picture on the table, then reached for a marker in his pocket. I smiled and handed him the picture. He took it and, with a few precise and quick marks, handed it back to me. "Thank you so much," I said, my cheeks heating up. He nodded and smiled, then walked out of the restaurant. My mom sat in silence across from me, her smile growing wider. I wanted to shriek right then and there, but I held it back until I got home.