Chapter 19

"What do I do?" I whispered to Jasmine.

"Just pretend you didn't see her or something," Jasmine offered.

"I can't do that! I just waved to her. Once this flight ends, she is going to come up and talk to me."

"Pretend like you're an identical twin. Haven't you ever heard that there are at least 7 other people in the world that look just like you?"

"Yeah, but what are the chances of that EVER happening?" I snapped.

Jasmine shrugged. "Fine. I'm out of ideas."

Then, the worst thing happened. The plane stopped. I quickly checked out the window. We were landed.

"Crap," I whispered. "We have to get out of here before she can talk to us."

"Ditto," Jasmine agreed, then waited until we were allowed to exit the plane.

I could see Emma from the corner of my eye, looking at us.

"All passengers may exit the plane," a voice said.

Jasmine and I quickly grabbed our luggage and started shuffling down the aisle to get off the plane.

We bumped into a bunch of people, but it was worth it. I was not ready to explain to Emma and her family why Jasmine and I were on a flight without our parents.

"Let's go get a cab!" I yelled frantically, already starting to walk away, when Jasmine pulled me back.

"Uhh Kiles? We don't have any money."

I bit my tongue. That's right. I heavily sigh. That means we'd have to take a car ride with Emma and her family if we ever wanted to get home.

"Hey," a voice said. I turned around, and it was a smiling Emma, her parents following.

She goes in for a hug, and I have no chance but to embrace it. "You must feel awesome," she said, holding a magazine in her hand.

"Why would you assume that?" I asked, trying not to seem suspicious.

"Because," she said, flipping the magazine over and shoving it in my face. "Your thing with Dylan O'Brien!"

My eyes widened, and I desperately wanted to tell her to quiet down because she boomed it across the airport. I received many stares.

"Totally photoshop," Jasmine chimed in.

Emma flashed her an almost disgusted glance. "Who are you?"

Jasmine immediately looked offended. "Who am I? I'm Jasmine. And who are you snooty pants?"

Emma fake gasped. "Geez, your friend is so mean."

I didn't know what to say. I had no idea how much Emma had changed over the years. I never knew she could be so jealous.

"Wow, Kiley. This girl is a piece of work," Jasmine said, her arms crossed. She walked away and took a seat in one of the chairs.

"Is she really your friend?" Emma whispered.

I nodded slowly. "Yeah."

"I didn't know you'd be friends with a girl that had an attitude," she said, continuing to glance at Jasmine.

"That's just how she is," I said quickly. "She's a really nice person once you get to-"

"So what's this about you being on the cover of a magazine?" Emma interrupted, obviously intrigued by the entire Dylan and me situation.

"Well, you see, it was just a sweepstakes thing," I said, fabricating a lie. I didn't want to brag about personally meeting Dylan and the cast. I hadn't even told her either, that's probably what she was the most ticked off about.

"Ohhh," Emma said slowly. Something deep down inside told me she didn't truly believe my lie, but I tucked that thought away to agonize over later. Then she smiled. "Do you need a ride back home?"

"Actually, yeah. I'm all out of money."

"No problem," she chimed. "I can take you back to your house."

I glanced at Jasmine, afraid she would somehow be excluded from the arrangement.

Emma gently punched me on the shoulder. "Come on, I don't dislike her that much, Kiles. I'll take you both home."

I smiled weakly, then glanced and waved at her parents that stood impatiently behind her. "Hi Mr. and Mrs. Bell."

They put on their best fake smile and waved back.

"Okay, let's go," I told Emma. She nodded and began walking away. I grabbed Jasmine and followed them out to their car.

The drive to our house was silent and awkward. I'm sure Emma's parents had a multitude of questions to ask, but probably didn't know where to start. So they just continued driving, the level of awkwardness rising slowly and slowly.