Chapter 9

Tonight couldn't come any faster. I rushed through all of my classes, not saying anything to anyone. I still couldn't believe that last night I had talked to Dylan O'Brien over the phone.

I rushed to my locker to grab my things for 8th period, when a voice called out behind me.

"Kiley!" I heard a voice say. I bite my lip and turn around. Jasmine stood in the middle of the hallway, hands on her hips. She walked over to where I was at. I slowly closed my locker.

"Why have you been ignoring me today? Is there something you aren't telling me?" she asked.

I didn't say anything.

She gasped. "Does it have something to do with Dylan?"

I didn't want to tell her about tonight. Then she'd get jealous and mad.

"No..." I lied.

She then crossed her arms. "I know that tone. You're lying to me!"

I flinched.

"Fine," she said, uncrossing her arms, "Be that way." Then she walked off down the hallway.

I let out an exhausted sigh and fell against my locker. Now Jasmine was mad at me.

I noticed movement from the corner of my eye. It was Oliver. "You look... mad," he said.

I shot him an evil glare and he scurried off down the hallway.

I regained my composure and trudged to my next class, just wanting the school day to be over.

I entered my class and slid into my seat. I glanced over at Jasmine. She was looking my way and as soon as I looked at her, she stuck her nose up at me and faced the teacher. Yep, she was really pissed. The teacher began talking and I lay my head down on my desk, mentally screaming in frustration. Dylan O'Brien, just take me away.

At last, after 2 more agonizing classes, the final bell rang and I was able to leave school. Jasmine never talked to me after that confrontation, nor did Oliver.

I hurried into my room as soon as I got home, and checked my phone to see if I received any messages while I was at school. I always keep my phone turned off during the school day. However, I used to keep it on until one embarrassing day in history class when I forgot to silence it. Talk about drawing attention. Ever since then, my phone has been turned off.

There were no messages from Dylan, or anyone for that matter. I sigh and place my phone down. I checked the clock in my room. It's 3:02 pm. What am I going to do for 3 hours and 58 minutes??

After the realization that sitting around doing nothing would make the time go by even slower, I decided to start on my homework.

First up, geometry. Yay. I pull out my calculator and get typing. Click click click. I grab my pencil and scribble down the answer on my paper. I continue this same routine for what feels like forever.

After I finish the paper, I check the clock. 4:23.

I started on my next homework assignment; english. I easily completed this, and by the time I'm done, it's only 4:41.

I noticed that I finished all of my work, so I decide to do some chores. I fixed my bed, dusted the furniture, and even wiped off the kitchen counter. My mom looked at me questioningly as I cleaned throughout the house, but didn't object. I'm sure she didn't mind the helping hands.

Finally, I finished all of the chores. I checked the clock. 6:37?! I needed to get ready!!

I hurried to my room and threw on some jeans and a plain striped t-shirt. I slipped on my converse, grabbed my phone, then headed out the door. As I hurried down the sidewalk, I made a mental note to text my mom where I was going, however, I'm sure she was already on that by now.

I saw the large dull building in the distance, and sprinted just a little faster. It's a good thing I was in Cross Country last fall, otherwise I would have passed out by now.

I finally reached a bench by the building where Dylan told me to be at, and sat down, heaving big breaths. I look around and check my phone. 7 pm on the dot. I wait a little more, then see a figure walking up to me to my right. It's Dylan; I can tell by the smile on his face. He's wearing a New York Mets hat and sunglasses.

"You made it," he said, walking up to me.

"Yeah, barely," I laughed.

He took a seat by me on the bench. I smiled at him. Just then, a wave of guilt passed over me, and my smile faded.

"Hey, you okay?" Dylan asked, turning his body towards me.

"Yeah, it's just... I feel bad because Jasmine isn't here. She is a huge fan of yours as well, and she kind of got mad at me today because I'm hanging out with you," I said.

"Oh," Dylan said, scratching his head. "Well, she can come too, I guess."

I looked over at him, staring into his dark brown eyes. "What do you mean?"

"To meet the Maze Runner cast. To really meet the cast," he said, a smile forming on his face.

I wanted to scream. I wanted to dance. I didn't know what to do.

"Really? Right now?" I asked in disbelief.

"Right now."

I jumped up and screamed. Dylan jumped to his feet along with me. "Shhh," he said almost laughing, putting his index finger to his mouth.

People looked over at us from across the street. I covered my mouth with my hands. "Oops," I said, the sound muffled.

"Come on," he whispered, "before we attract any more attention."

We approached the large gate entering the building. Dylan pressed a red button on the bottom panel. "Dylan O'Brien is a super sexy hunk," he said into the mic. I chuckled and was about to say something when I was cut off by a robotic voice that came over the speaker. "VOICE ACCEPTED," the feminine voice said.

The large gates opened and we walked on a path leading to the giant studio. The lawn looked nicer than the building itself.

We approached two sliding glass doors. We slid one open, then entered the giant place. We were immediately greeted by a man with glasses in a fancy suit. He exchanged glances with Dylan.

"What is she doing here?" the man said disgustingly, as if he and I have been sworn enemies for our entire lives.

"She's a friend of mine," Dylan said simply.

"Right, like last weeks girl? Give me a break, Dylan..." the man said.

"I'm feeling welcomed already," I chimed in conveniently.

"Come on now, Tim. Last weeks' girl just wanted an autograph from Ki Hong," Dylan replied.

The finely dressed man, Tim, scrunched up his nose. "Fine, this girl can stay," he said, then turned to me. "But don't even think about asking if you can be in the movie. All of the roles are taken," he said, then turned and walked away.

"Wasn't going to," I said as he walked away. "And does he mean The Scorch Trials?" I asked Dylan.

He shook his head yes. "We're flying to New Mexico in a couple of weeks to film."

"Awesome!" I exclaimed. "I can't wait to see it on the big screen."

"Now," Dylan said, "Let's go see the other cast members you've been dying to meet."

I followed excitedly, but I wasn't literally that excited to see the other crew members. I was more excited to see Dylan. But, it's the moment. Time to actually talk and interact with the other members of The Maze Runner. I pinched myself multiple times to make sure I wasn't dreaming. All of which, concluded that this was actually happening. I screamed in my head as we approached the door that had a sign on it that said, 'The Maze Runner cast'.