My Turn

requested by @Athenodora_Sulpicia. "Calm Before Storm" continuation.

The Black and White Ball represented something different for every single member of our so-called "gang". Horace was given the opportunity to finally have Wink wearing a costume, Jasper had the chance to show his intelligence once again, and I wanted to prove I was brave enough to be part of more dangerous angles. For Estella, however, it was something greater than just crazy missions and disguises: getting the necklace would help her feel close to her deceased mother.

Little did we know how that night would change everything forever.

As chaos began to propagate among the guests due to the rats, Horace, Jasper and I wasted no time to run as soon as possible along with everyone else. Wink and Buddy followed us closely, also running away from the Baroness' dalmatians. Estella, on the other hand, didn't move one single muscle. She remained motionless, staring blindly at the Baroness for some unknown reason.

"Est-" I paused, realizing we were still in public. "Cruella, let's go!"

My scream didn't seem to work. She was still immobile, completely unaware of her surroundings. Something was wrong.

"Cruella, come on." I said while approaching her. "We gotta leave before they arrest us."

I grabbed her arm firmly and carried Estella like a kid towards the exit. She kept up eventually, but it was clear that she was not in a good place mentally at the moment. I could even notice tears falling down her face as we escaped. What the hell was going on?

"What took so long? Our van was tolled!" Jasper asked once we finally managed to arrive outside. "Where's Estella?"

"She's right..." I looked to my side, only now realizing she was not with me anymore. "here."

"Oh, great!" said Horace. "Not only we don't have a ride, our boss is now missing!"

We kept looking around the streets for Estella, but the crowd was too large and the dark night only made our vision even worse. She was not being herself and I was beginning to worry about her whereabouts. However, as a knight in shining armor, a car showed up next to us out of nowwhere and hit the breaks aggressively, leaving tire marks on the street.

"Let's go, idiots." Estella said as she rolled down the windows. "Let's leave, now!"

If we knew how dangerous this car drive was going to be, I am positive walking would be our first (and only) option. Estella never once slowed down, not even when other cars were around us on the streets. I had my hands glued to my seat while Horace and Jasper pleaded her to slow down. She didn't listen. Instead, Estella only kept going faster.

"Estella, stop the car right now!" I yelled angrily on the passenger seat. "You're going to kill us!"

She finally listened to us and stopped the vehicle, leaving right after. Horace and Jasper looked at me from the backseat, seeming as confused as I was by her strange behavior. A little mad? She sure is. Suicidal? Not so much.

"I'll go talk to her." I said while opening the door. "Stay here."

Although Estella had her back to me, I could still tell she was crying. Her beautiful red dress illuminated by the street light was now a little messy, her black mask thrown on the sidewalk.  I could see she needed some space, so I kept my distance.

"Baby, what's going on?" I asked softly. "What made you so upset?"

"She killed my mother." She replied between sobs. "It was her, Y/N. Not me."

"What do you mean?" I asked confused. "The Baroness killed your mom?"

"She whistled and called the dogs on my mom." She said a little angrier now. "I blamed myself for all these years."

The tragic death of her mother was probably the most traumatic experience Estella has ever witnessed. We knew how much shame, guilt and sorrow she carried with her. This breakthrough is already affecting her tremendously, and I know she needs my support.

I took some steps towards Estella, giving her the time to say no if she didn't want me near. I kept getting closer as no words of protest were spoken. I touched her shoulder as gentle as possible, turning her face to me. She was a mess. Mascara was now dripping down her cheeks, her lipstick faded away. I hugged her tightly, holding her close as much as I could. Her tears were now wetting my shoulder, but I didn't care at all.

"It's okay to be sad, dear." I whispered gently while caressing her hair with my fingers. "It's a lot to take in."

We held on to each other for a few more minutes, Estella slowly recomposing herself. I knew she needed the time to breathe and digest what was revealed this evening. She was by my side when I trembled in fear in the beginning of this mission, so I was going to be by her side in the end of it.

"Let's go home, baby." I said as I reluctantly unraveled her from my embrace. "It's my turn now to take care of you."

hello there! i truly hope you enjoyed this chapter. let me know what you think! M