After Hours

Today hasn't been a good day. At all.

I should've known how things were going to roll out as soon as my alarm clock magically stopped working in the morning, which caused me to be late to work and get yelled by helmet-hair Jeffrey as soon as I arrived at the atelier. The lack of caffeine and my empty stomach, in addition, only made it hard to concentrate on the endless pile of fabrics scattered around my desk and countless unfinished sketches. The Baroness would be disappointed. I frowned.

I wanted to impress her so, so badly. Ever since my first day working at the House of Baroness, my greatest wish was to make her notice me, or at least recognize my talent. I would work late hours, research about new types of fabrics, read about new fashion trends. Whatever was under my reach.

My efforts somehow were always eclipsed by the presence of discourteous, condescending Estella. No matter how hard I worked, no matter how brilliant my designs were, it seemed that the Baroness only had eyes for this snobbish redhead and her stupid dresses. I even felt invisible at times, while Estella would walk around this place wearing a cynical smile, feeling better than everyone else.

"Bloody hell!" I yelled at my sewing machine, followed by a sight. "Why are you doing this to me, mate?"

The evening was already darkening the sky outside as I still struggled to finish my dress. The whole room was silent, the sound of my machine being the only thing filling the quiet studio with some sort of noise.

"Everything okay, darling?"

Of course. As always, Estella also stayed later after everybody else was gone.

"Problems with technology. That's all." I replied through gritted teeth. "Don't worry."

"Oh, I'm not worried." She replied along with a mocking laugh. "Your whining is bothering me. That's all."

"Just leave me alone, Estella."

Thankfully, she actually did for a while. My brain concentrated on the task before me once again, despite my jaw still being clenched from anger. My stress made the challenge of sewing silk satin become even more impossible, my foot was starting to hurt from pressing the pedal too hard. I almost felt like crying at this point.

"You need to take it a little slower." Estella spoke suddenly, walking towards me as her boots clicked on the floor. "You're just going to end up damaging your fabric if you keep sewing this fast."

"What are you talking about?"

"Silk satin is a soft, fragile material." She explained, standing close to me. "If you don't treat it gently, it will probably tear apart."

"I know what I'm doing, okay?" I huffed, crossing my arms. "I don't need your help."

She didn't listen to me. Instead, Estella rolled her eyes and approached me from behind. She inclined her body, her head was almost resting on my left shoulder.

"Just stop being so stubborn, angry boots." She responded with a smirk. "Let me show you."

The strange proximity between the two of us was making my heart beat out of my chest. Estella wrapped her arms around mine, holding my hands as she placed them on the sewing machine. Her palms touched my knuckles softly, our fingers almost intertwined together. I don't know what she's doing, but I have never been this nervous before.

"Press the pedal slowly, don't rush." She said calmly, almost like a whisper right next to my ear. Her raspy voice sent a shiver down my spine. "I will guide your hands."

I did exactly what she told me. As my foot pressed the pedal carefully, our fingers worked together with grace, a perfect pace being settled. No words were spoken while she remained close to me, a blood rush going right to my temple whenever I felt her breath tingling my neck. It was too late for me to question her sudden kindness, our warm embrace was already knocking me out of my feet. What the hell?

"We did it!" I exclaimed as soon as I saw my pieces of fabric stitched together perfectly. "I can't believe it!"

"See?" She replied excitedly. "You should always listen to me, darling."

I looked at her to say something, but my mind went blank as soon as our eyes met. She was already looking at me, those emerald pupils behind her glasses staring at my soul like nothing else mattered. Our faces were inches away, and her arms still delicately surrounded me. I was breathless.

Estella got even closer, shamelessly staring at my mouth. My mind was losing control, but now, I couldn't care less. It was like her husky perfume enchanted me without any warning. Every single cell inside of my body wanted this insane moment to keep going. I closed my eyes, our lips touched softly.

"Good evening, ladies." A male voice came from across the room. "Too much work?"

The security guard arrived. Great.

My eyes widened. I unraveled myself from Estella as fast as possible, the cozy warmth from her body no longer embracing me.

I missed it already. What?

"Yeah, yeah." I mumbled while standing up, my knees still weak from what just almost happened seconds ago. "I'm leaving already, though. Gotta catch the bus. Bye."

I heard Estella calling my name, but I just wanted to get out of there. My head was going in circles as I walked away, my senses slowly coming back to me. I panicked. Discourteous, condescending Estella almost kissed me; and I wanted it. Damn, I really wanted it. I hate her, right?

What's she doing to me?

i have a midterm tomorrow for my hardest class this semester, and yet, here i am. priorities, am i right? this idea was stuck in my head since yesterday, and i just had to write. anyways, i hope you like it! feedback is always welcomed and appreciated. thank you so much for reading! it means the world to me. hope you're doing okay, folks. stay safe. M

p.s: still working on the remaining requests! sorry for taking so long, i will try my best to get them done as soon as i can. thank u for your patience!