Chapter Three

(Gion)

(In the car, being driven to the mall with Gina to meet Lena, Su Jung, Maria and Neelam)

For some obvious reason that I did not want to admit to myself, I was frighteningly excited to meet Lena at the mall. I convinced myself it was due to nerves of meeting my childhood friend that I hadn't met for five years. The car stopped at the mall entrance.

I paid the driver some tips before heading out with Gina. There were passer-bys that halted to look at us, most likely out of curiosity. I met eyes with some of them, seeing looks of recognition cross their features. Most nodded in respect; some seemed too stunned to move, however.

We proceeded to take a quick stroll to our meeting point with the other princesses, at Starbucks. As usual, it was crowded with petty adolescents trying to catch gusts of the latest news, gossip, or even a sight of a nobility, since Starbucks was one of the more high-class shops that celebrities might find their way into.

"Look! It's the Italian prince!" a teenage girl who looked about thirteen whispered excitedly to her friend.

Her ravan-black hair was tied into two pigtails, and honestly speaking, she looked rather unremarkable.

Nothing good to catch my eye, I thought. Sighing internally, I realised that none of the others had arrived, well, except for the annoyed-looking Prince Leon from the other side of the room. He crossed his arms and seemed to be thinking of creative ways to chastise his sister for being late.

None of the princesses had arrived, however. Being the princesses that they are, which meant that they were always late, I made myself cozy while waiting for them. Gina pouted at the phone and started typing away furiously. Is she talking to Lena? My instinct thought of that. I inched closer to her, hoping to catch a part of her conversation.

"Yes, I'll wait for you, Ciel. See you!" Annoyance crept at me. Of all the princes she could have chosen, she chose the sissy one. Sometimes, I really question my sister's decisions.

Unconsciously, I found myself looking around and thinking about Lena. I shook my head and tried to think about something else. I could partially feel Leon's impatience from the other side of the room.

"Gina, who did you invite?" I questioned.

Gina gave me a sheepish smile before replying, "Everyone, but Shintarou didn't want to come."

I wasn't surprised. Gina often chose to invite everyone, because she would regret it forever, feeling that she excluded someone. Apparently, outcasting was one of her many mistakes-that-couldn't-be-made. I gave Gina a brief nod.

"Livo decided to stay back to do some stuff," I informed her.

"Yes. Shintarou doesn't like hanging out, huh?" Gina raised her eyebrows. I smiled slightly and nodded again. Shintarou never wanted to come to any social gatherings before. I couldn't see the difference now. I occupied myself with some business texts, trying to ignore all the admiring glances that were shot our way.

"Boo!" A voice shouted out behind Gina, and I kept my cool demeanor, albeit being scared a little. It was another one of Lena's tricks. She was wearing a black flared skirt with a simple white top, and although some may think it is too plain for a princess, she looked stunning in it.

I turned my head away a second too late and she caught me staring. She blushed and god, she is so cute and pretty. I thought, a shadow of a blush set on my face. Realising what I was doing, I wiped that look of my face and fixed a glare in its place.

"Hi Gion!" Lena greeted, her features straightened once more. I nodded briefly in acknowledgement.

Gina jumped up and hugged Lena tightly and both of them jumped about and squealed in high-pitch voices that were sure to break glass. The rest arrived shortly after. I cleared my throat and tried to say nonchalantly, "I hope you're aware that you are all one hour late." Leon let out a grunt in agreement, though it seemed directed more at the princesses than the princes. I stood by, watching them greet each other in delight.

"Is that all the princes? They are all so dashing!" someone gushed from nearby. Murmurings sounded from around us.

This was too much attention, I thought. As if he read my mind, Leon began to usher everyone out of Starbucks, heading to the more isolated area of the mall.