9. Cat and Mouse

Alejandro

I was still wondering about the events that led up to my accident on a regular basis. I would be following my routine and going about my day, but subconsciously in the back of my mind the thoughts would wander off to that very day and all the events that transpired.

I even sent Carlos on a wild goose chase to put two and two together and find some clues. He came back empty-handed, nothing, nada. When I tried to mention that construction of road was unusual and about the truck, he just told me that I was overthinking and those were just random coincidences.

One mystery remained that made me question the legitimacy of calling this just an accident, the disappearance of my driver. That's the only remaining loose end, otherwise all other scenarios and events that occurred that day lead to a dead end.

Carlos tried his best to find out the whereabouts of our driver to no avail. I am forced to think two scenarios either he was abducted by my attackers or he betrayed me by helping them. The final, but most unlikely scenario to me is that of attackers getting really lucky. This was suggested by Carlos, he feels the attackers had been tailing me that day and keeping tabs on me regularly to understand my routine and attack me accordingly.

That day, they just got lucky with the coincidences and change of route and attacked us. Now comes the catch, why make the driver disappear and not directly deal with me? it's strange, because there was no one else and they had all the time in the world to do the deed and disappear without a trace. I have my doubts on the girl from the ball, what was her name? ahh yes! Gabriella. I feel she could be a part of the plot to assassinate me, I have to observe her closely. She seems nice and kind but you never know, Appearances can be deceiving!

My chain thoughts was broken by a knock on the door of my cabin. I asked the person at the door to come inside, it was Carlos. I wished him good morning and asked him to take a seat, after exchanging some regular small talk and teasing my best friend a bit, I asked him what brought him here so early in the morning. He told me that he wanted to discuss the candidate he feels is best suited for the post of my personal secretary. He showed me her resume and I was blown away. Graduated magna cum laude from Harvard with a degree in finance and was simply too good to pass on.

She could easily manage all the work that we expected in fact she could be a little over-qualified for the post. Carlos even proceeded to explain to me how she had blown him over in the interview and she was the one. After he was gone I said to myself "So miss mystery our paths cross again".

Next day,
Today I was going to meet my new secretary for the first time. All our prior meetings were in public places where our status was neutral, but now I have the upper hand. Let's see how this turns out. Will she show here fiery side or just be a perfect employee? Only time has all the answers.

I was going through my schedule and preparing for an upcoming 'big" meeting with another top "client". I was in my zone, suddenly I hear a knock on the door. I shout out "come in". She walks in and I am stunned by her beauty. Her hair is tied in a ponytail and she has minimal make-up, yet looks like an angel that flew down from the gates of heaven.

She is wearing red stilettos and a red pencil skirt paired with white top. Her face has demure expressions as she wished me good morning. I smile at her and welcome her to the Martinez family, she smiles.

She has a cup of coffee in her hand, I am surprised by this gesture. She has certainly mended her ways. I tell her "you didn't need to do this, but thanks".

She arranges my schedule for the day, I direct her to make some important phone calls and manage important activities of the day. I get on with my work and I gave her some other tasks so that she got used to the working environment and understood how she was to function here.

This system would really train her in a few weeks and then its all about her dedications and passion. I called her into my cabin to give her the big task. A task that would truly test her mettle and make her ready for the tough task at hand. She would have to walk through fire to prove that she was worth her weight in gold.

I recently won the best entrepreneur in Mexico recently, which calls for a grand celebration and that calls for a grand banquet in our best hotel, the Crown perched up in the mountains Sierra Madre.

I could see the look of surprise on her face after I briefed her about her role. She must be surprised why I was giving a newbie the biggest event of the year to plan and that too on her very first day at work?, Well, let her wonder, I am adept at mind games too, let her taste her own medicine and realize how much tasty it can get.

After the day was done, I took my car home, Carlos drives me to office and back home every day since the accident. We are followed by fleet of best bodyguards. Everyone is one edge after the unfortunate event.

I reach home and freshen up, after resting for a while I spend some quality time with my family on the dinner table. After dinner, I take a walk in our garden with my mom. We talk about normal cartel business and activities, then I divert the conversation towards Gabriella.

My mother insists that she seemed to be a good girl and its better to pay of debts and this was the best possible way, I tell her that I am already testing her in order to find out if she deserves the chance.

My mother advices me to be extra careful with her as she does not fully trust her and instincts tell her there is something fishy about the entire thing. My mom's instincts are always spot on and I need to test her out to determine her true intentions and if she is as pure as she portrays herself or is it all just an elaborate façade?, once again only time will tell......