37. Race of my life

Gabriella

1 month later.....

“No dad, I am not going to the race” I said.
“Gabriella, it will be great for you. Trust me races are fun and you will have a great time. It will be a welcome distraction for you.” My father said with a genuine smile on his face.

“Dad you don’t get it, I don’t feel very well today I need to rest in my room instead of spending time in the hot sun” I protested
“Mirana would be there too, I guess that’s a valid reason to cheer you up and make your gloomy mood disappear.” He said

On the mention of Mirana my face lit up. The very thought of getting to spend quality time with her after a long interval was all I needed to motivate me to step outside for recreational activities.  I was silent for a moment going on a nostalgic trip down the memory lane. Remembering all the years of connection with Mirana.

“I will take that as a yes” my dad said assuming my extended silence to be a sign of compliance.

I walked into my room and chose the outfit for the day.  I chose a strapless light blue dress, paired the outfit with light blue heels, I walked into the bathroom to get my makeup and facial done. No sooner had I entered the bathroom a wave of nausea hit me and my gag reflex came into motion.

I puked in the sink. After 15 minutes, which felt like an eternity I came outside, sweating like crazy. My eyes fell on the calendar and I realised I had missed my periods for a month now; I thought to myself 'my periods are always erratic and the stress must have made it even worse'.

I wore my outfit and walked downstairs to my black Mercedes and instructed the driver to take me to the racecourse.
The drive was an hour long and I just shut my eyes and napped to ease the stress of the nausea and puking in the bathroom.

  On reaching the venue I felt the morning breeze and it made me smile a little, the weather was pleasant and perfect for day of fun and frolic

I waited patiently for Mirana to arrive, I had called her but she had flat out refused t come with me and told me she would arrive their on  her  own accord.

Suddenly my eyes fell on a beautiful brunette in a lovely green dress, she turned and had a smile on her face, and it was Mirana. On seeing me the smile was replaced by a slight expression of contempt.

I tried to give her a warm embrace she cut me short mid-hug, we ended up hugging awkwardly and walked towards the stables.  I walked to my favourite horse’s stable. His coat was milk white, without a single blemish or dark spot.

He had been my favourite horse since I was young kid and I always loved riding him around. Now look at him in all his glory he is the star of our stable and has been dishing out winning performance every year for 6 years in row now.

I patted his back and he neighed in approval as he saw me, just like we squeal in joy on seeing a best friend. After I was done with him and his trainer took him away for the race prep, I whispered in his ears “baby gives your best and no need to worry about winning, most important thing is to do your best”  he neighed in agreement and he was taken away.