31. Executing a paradox

Ricardo

“Ahhh yes! Today is the best day of my.” I thought to myself as I adjusted my tie in the mirror. I applied some hair gel on my hair in order to style it and looked for the final time in the mirror.

“Ahh perfect” I exclaimed. The whole ensemble of black tuxedo, brown leather shoes, white shirt with a blood red tie looked really awesome!  I sound a little vain and smug but I cannot help it tonight is one of the biggest nights of my young life.

I applied the final touches in the form of Chanel number five, one of my favourite fragrances to add a dab of confidence. As I walk downstairs I see Sandra seated on the couch ready to go. My baby sister looked adorable in a white evening gown.

We got into the car together and she teased me about my appearance. “Look who is dressed to the nines. The usually aloof and casual Ricardo is al fashionable tonight. I bet my life it’s to make Mirana drool” she said cheekily and burst into pools of laughter.

I smiled and did not reply to her retort. Internally I did want her to look at me and be awed though.
We reached the venue in 45 minutes and started with giving the place and the arrangements final touches before the guests arrived. Before we knew it, the show had begun!

My eyes searched for my love everywhere finally she arrived dressed in a baby pink evening gown looking like an angel from heaven. I simply couldn’t take my eyes off her.

Mirana  walked towards me and hugged me, whispering congratulations in my ears. “I love the arrangements and I am really excited for your big day, I hope it turns out well” there was a glint of excitement but on closer look I could also detect shades of sadness and unmindfulness.

As if she was not completely present her mentally, her mind was occupied with something else. I made e a mental note to catch ahold of her later and enquire about the same.

I interacted with the guests and also answered some of their queries about my work, time really flew by and soon it was time for my speech.
I was really nervous, but I mustered up the courage and decided to give my best. I cannot let anyone down on my big night.
“Good evening to one and all present here I would like to thank you for wasting your precious time on my pathetic efforts that I shamelessly call “art”” my self-deprecating humour was  a hit and everyone burst into laughter and  that eased my nerves a little bit.
The speech lasted for a few more minutes where I thanked my family especially my elder brother Alejandro, without his incessant support I wouldn’t be standing here to be really frank with everyone.

After my speech the night passed away in a blur. We dined and drank, smiled and danced; soon it was time to pull the curtains on a fairly successful event.
I was buzzing in the afterglow of the event.

I left the venue with Mirana, intending to drop her at her flat and spend some romantic moments with her to complete an already amazing day. When we reached her apartment I asked her “Mirana why did you looked lost today during the party as if you are carrying some terrible pain in your heart?, if there is anything please talk to me”.

She paused for a moment and took a deep breath before speaking. “It’s nothing I was nervous about the event, I am glad it was a success” She caressed my cheek. Before leaving she gave me a sweet goodnight kiss.

I drove back to the Martinez mansion, a content man. I did not want the night to end, it was difficult to fall asleep that night, Dreams in my head made it difficult to fall asleep.

The next day I wake up late, the buzz of the event still had its effect on me and I wanted to break out into a dance routine as soon as I woke up. Today I had some special and rather romantic plans. I wanted to surprise Mirana at her apartment and spend the entire day with her; it’s been a while since we had an entire for ourselves!