11. Fight

Gabriella

I was shocked to see her here. Although she looked as pretty as ever in her black sequined dress, seeing her mingle freely with the enemy just made my blood boil.

Mirana is my best friend, no she is more than a sister to me

Mirana is my best friend, no she is more than a sister to me. This is the worst kind of betrayal, I couldn’t imagine this in my worst dreams. “Focus! And stay calm”, I whispered to myself.

I cannot show any shock or signs of emotional outburst, it can rouse Alejandro’s suspicions and blow my cover away. I will deal with Mirana at an opportune time.
The party went on in a smooth manner with no other sinister surprises to cause me to breakdown.

I was at Alejandro’s side throughout the night, honestly speaking he is such a charmer. The way he talks and presents himself just oozes out self-confidence. He talks very less, but is very precise and his jokes are always on point. Not too dark and not too cheesy, just perfect and balanced humour. What is wrong with me?, why am I singing his praises all the time. What am I here to do?, kill him or be his court jester?, why cant my brain make a proper distinction why is it liking my enemy so much?

Then it was time for the couple’s dance and classical music started playing from the speakers. All the guests assembled on the dance floor and waltzed in silence. It was a sight to behold! Suddenly I felt a tug on my elbow, it was Alejandro beckoning me to join him on the dance floor. I wasn’t very enthusiastic about this idea, but he was stubborn. Finally I relented as he left me no choice.

A slow song full of melancholy and longing by Radiohead blared from the speakers

🎵When you were here before
Couldn't look you in the eye
You're just like an angel
Your skin makes me cry
You float like a feather
In a beautiful world
I wish I was special
You're so fuckin' special
But I'm a creep
I'm a weirdo
What the hell am I doin' here?
I don't belong here
I don't care if it hurts
I wanna have control
I want a perfect body
I want a perfect soul
I want you to notice
When I'm not around
So fuckin' special
I wish I was special
But I'm a creep
I'm a weirdo
What the hell am I doin' here?
I don't belong here
She's running out the door (run)
She's running out
She run, run, run, run,
Run...
Whatever makes you happy
Whatever you want
You're so fuckin' special
I wish I was special
But I'm a creep
I'm a weirdo
What the hell am I doin' here?
I don't belong here
I don't belong here🎵

It was a lovely half an hour we spent dancing slowly, unlike the fast dance and back and forth conversation, this was more intimate and peaceful moment.

Time went still and the minutes on the dance floor felt like an eternity. Like my mind did not want this moment to end, lock it away in a glass vial to view it again and again. I surely needed some psychiatric evaluation, I am losing my mind I am sure about that part now!
Before I could continue on another round of self-loathing, Alejandro was seated in front of the piano ready for his performance.

I looked at him in awe, he was focused on the piano and started playing
Für Elise by Ludwig van Beethoven.  I had no idea he was so talented, he had the audience in awe and was a statue of serenity and focus.
I did not let my mind be distracted for too long with Alejandro’s performance.I took the opportunity to meet Mirana and clear things with her.

I dragged her to an empty corridor and asked her “Qué estás haciendo aquí(What are you doing here ?”), she remained calm and answered
“Estoy tratando de ayudarte(I am trying to help you?)

I roared “y ¿cómo lo estás haciendo ?, durmiendo con el enemigo?(how are you doing that?, by sleeping with the enemy?).
She remained silent for a few moments and took a deep breathe, I could sense my words of mistrust had deeply hurt her, although she was not showing it on her face I could sense it.

Finally she answered “I wanted to help you, but you would not allow this to happen, as you did not want to put my life in danger. I tried to convince you that I can do it, but in vain. So I secretly arranged this with my dad. I am pretending to be Ricardo’s girlfriend so that we can keep tabs on him and use the information accordingly.”

I apologized for my outburst and hugged her, still I was a little upset with her stunt. I did not want to hurt her for my revenge. “ I know what you are thinking, but your brother and mom are like my family too. I too want to avenge their deaths”. She said with fire in her eyes.

We both walked back to the main area without rousing any suspicions and the party continued normally. After the party I accompanied Alejandro in his car and he dropped me off at my apartment. “Thank you for making this evening special. I did not expect such high standards from you, but you did really well for a newcomer. I am really happy that I hired you. Please don’t betray me or disappoint me in the future, I don’t take these things lightly. Goodnight see you on Monday morning”. He said with a smile and pulled down the glass.

Before I could say anything he disappeared like a phantom on a moonlit night, I walked myself back to my apartment, took a long bath to relax my jaded mind and body.

I was really relieved that everything went without a hitch and having Mirana on my team here made me really happy. I was apprehensive about including her in the mission now I feel it’s a positive sign. Having a familiar face in this unfamiliar place surrounded by cruel strangers really warms my heart and gives me motivation to go on. I have the added responsibility of keeping Mirana safe and I won’t leave anything to chance.
She would be my secret weapon in this battle against Sinaloa cartel.