Chapter 13: Christmas

Mrs Longbottom was stable, but they were uncertain whether she would recover. It didn't look too good. Neville spent most of his time at the hospital. Cassie had taken over some of his tasks in the greenhouses but was glad when a Seventh-Year had offered to help instead. She had already killed one plant and didn't want to do any more damage.

Neville taught his classes but besides that spent most of his time in the hospital. He often returned to Hogwarts around seven in the evening, looking rather exhausted. Cassie would have a plate of dinner leftover for him and stay with him until he had finished it. She would then make sure he took a shower, clean up his office and see him off to bed before heading to her own room.

He was just glad that it was Christmas break and classes were over so he would have more time to rest and to visit his grandma. Cassie had tagged along one time before classes had ended. They had gone after dinner. Mrs Longbottom had been asking about her and she wanted to meet Cassie really badly.

Mrs Longbottom was exactly as Neville described her, even when sick in the hospital. Stern, judgemental, yet incredibly proud of her grandson. They played cards, talked about Cassie mainly - Mrs Longbottom wanted to know everything about her - and then left after Mrs Longbottom had whispered something to Neville.

Cassie had overheard it but hadn't said anything about it to Neville. "You best keep this young lady, Neville. A good, smart, beautiful girl. She'll be good for you."

She wanted to tag along again but she was once again ill in bed. It was Sunday, the day before Christmas and simultaneously the full moon. She felt sad that the full moon was on Christmas day but she couldn't do anything about it, so it was better to just accept it.

She loved Christmas, it had always been her favourite holiday. The decorations, the food, the cheery moods, the smell of the big Christmas tree in the Great Hall, the songs, everything. It felt magical.

But this year she would spend Christmas alone, in a damaged old shack, sleeping on the bed as a monster. It felt awful. The worst part was that she wasn't even able to care for Neville today and tomorrow the way she wanted to. She knew this Christmas would be tough on him too seeing as his gran was in the hospital.

But Neville felt worse for her. She returned from the bathroom after once again having been sick in the toilet and shuffled back to her bed. A deep red envelope lay on her pillow and she picked it up. She could smell Neville on the paper and she opened it up quickly.

"Dear Cass,

The full moon couldn't have worse timing this year it appears. But we won't sulk about things we cannot change. What we can change however is the day on which we celebrate Christmas. So, for one year only (until the next year that the full moon decides to be funny and appear on a holiday), I am inviting you to Nev and Cass' special after-Christmas Christmas party.

Where? My office.
When? The day after Boxing Day (to ensure you feel better again)
Dress code: Christmas attire ( just wear whatever is comfortable, you're gorgeous nevertheless)

Who? As the name implies; Nev and Cass.

Don't be too hard on yourself today or tomorrow, yeah? And don't worry about my dinner, I've got it sorted out. Just stay in bed and rest but don't forget to eat something yourself.

See you then!

Love,

Neville"

A smile grew on her lips again. That git. She hugged the letter to her chest, instantly feeling a whole lot better again. Merlin, was this boy sweet. He was a better friend than she could have ever wished for.