Chapter 14: Mrs Longbottom

cw death of a family member

Cassie woke up in Neville's arms. He was still asleep, his lips parted slightly and soft snores escaping his lips. His lips. His lips that had been pressed against hers only hours before. His lips that had felt so soft and sweet and perfect. His lips.

A small smile formed on her lips and she brushed a strand of hair out of her face before realisation hit. She stretched her arms and yawned, sitting up on the bed and looking around Neville's room.

Neville's room.

Neville's lips.

Neville.

Fuck.

She looked at him again, her heart skipping another beat. He turned in his sleep, feeling around for her. She met his hand with hers and gave it a squeeze. He visible relaxed again and continued to snore softly. Merlin, why is he so cute when he's sleeping?

They hadn't done anything besides kiss. But they had kissed. A lot. And Merlin was it nice. It was so nice. She touched her lips for a moment and then laid back down on the bed, staring at the ceiling. What was she doing?

You can't do this to him, you monster. You're a werewolf. Werewolves don't deserve love. No one can love a werewolf. He deserves better. Someone who can love him every night of the year, not someone who turns into a deadly creature twelve of those nights.

Hey, see! It's only twelve nights! Neville can get through twelve nights alone!

No, he can't! He shouldn't have to! Nevertheless, she remains a monster. She remains a deadly werewolf!

No, a sleepy werewolf with the Wolfsbane potion. Besides, she'll be far from him on those nights, she can't hurt him.

She can and she will. She will want to, that's bad enough! He deserves someone like Hannah Abbott. Someone sweet and normal and not a monster. Neville deserves better than-

Neville fancies Cassie, not Hannah. He doesn't care about the lycanthropy-

She pushed the palms of her hands over her eyes, trying to hold back the tears. That second voice was new. It was far more rational than the voice she often blamed the wolf in her for. Nevertheless, she felt guilty for kissing him. She still believed the old voice.

She was so stupid for letting her heart take over and ask him to kiss her again. She wanted to. Every inch of her body wanted to. Every inch except her brain. Her brain, her mind it wanted to pull back and let him go. Back off before the monster inside her could hurt him.

"Cass?" Neville's morning voice was rough and it sent shivers down her spine. He gently grabbed her wrists and removed her hands from her eyes. She looked at him, tears burning in her eyes. "Cass?"

"I'm sorry," she squeaked. "I'm sorry for kissing you."

"Can we stop being sorry for kissing each other?" he asked softly, intertwining their fingers. "Or did you not want to kiss me? You didn't do it for me, did you? You didn't do it because you felt bad for me or anything right? I don't want you to do that-" there was panic in his voice.

"I kissed you because I want to kiss you, Neville. I kissed you because- because I like you, like really like you, but I can't have you!" You can, Cassie. You can have him. He wants you too. You're still Cassie, not just a wolf. You're a wolf. That's all you are, a dangerous- she let out a sob.

"Okay, hey, okay, it's okay," he said quickly, wrapping his arms around her gently. "Shh, shh, calm down, yeah? Do we need to take a moment to breathe?" She shook her head and cuddled into him. He was so soft and gentle and nice and warm and- she let out another sob.