Chapter 28: The Ministry

TW: blood

And then the day finally came. Neville had only slept for four hours as Cassie's constant twisting and turning kept waking him up. He didn't mind, he cared more that she got a few hours in than about his own sleep. But Cassie hadn't been able to close an eye that night.

Her heart was racing as she was putting her clothes on with shaky hands. To be locked away for an entire day and night sounded like torture. Not because of her busy schedule, that was an easy fix with the help of her colleagues, but to be alone, in a dark room, with her thoughts for more than an hour. That was torturous.

Neville pressed a kiss on her cheek and gave her a small squeeze. Even he was nervous, she could sense it. He just wanted Cassie to be okay. Her routine at Hogwarts was what was best for her and it was a safe option too. This sudden change was scaring him almost as much as it scared her.

She finished the potion and took it, making a disgusted face before coughing. Neville patted her back gently and she wrapped her arms around him as tight as she could. There was a gloomy atmosphere in her room.

Her knees felt weak and her stomach was twisted into a knot. She let out a shaky sigh and looked at him. He shot her a gentle smile that was supposed to be reassuring but today she was unsure that anything could.

"I'll be there first thing tomorrow morning, alright? And tomorrow you can spend all day in bed and I'll bring you food and give you a massage and cuddles and kisses and whatever you want, okay? You can get through it today and tonight, I know you can," he said, trying to be encouraging.

If he could, he would keep her there, at Hogwarts. He would face his old boss and stand up for her - even if his previous boss scared him a little. He would do anything for her. But Cassie had declared that a bad idea and she had been right. There was no good option here, there never seemed to be one lately.

"I love you," she mumbled before kissing him softly. "Knowing that you'll be waiting for me will pull me through." She took a deep breath. Her eyes were watery but not a single tear fell down her cheeks. He nodded and held her tightly once more.

He was going to be with her every second that he could. She was ever so grateful that he was like this. When Anthony had dropped her just like that, she had never expected anyone to love her unconditionally but Neville did.

"I love you so much," he said. She leaned her forehead against his and closed her eyes for a moment. With all her heart she just wanted to stay at Hogwarts and spend the night in the Shrieking Shack tonight but she had no choice. The Ministry had given her no choice.

"I love you so much," she responded and opened her eyes again. "We need to go." She didn't want to say it but if they didn't get going now then she would be late and she would hate to see what would happen if she were.

He wrapped one arm around her as they walked through the corridors towards McGonagall's office. There, an Auror would show up and they would use Floo Network to travel to the Ministry. She hoped that Auror was Ron because she knew Ron and he was a nice lad. She hoped it wasn't someone rude and judgmental.

McGonagall and Madam Pomfrey were waiting for her in the office with concerned gazes. They were both siding with Neville, wanting more than anything for her to stay at Hogwarts and do her usual routine. But they also knew that was impossible.

"Morning," Cassie said, trying to sound as normal as possible. She forced a smile but neither of the women believed the joy she was trying to express.

"Good morning, Cassie," McGonagall spoke, walking over to her with her arms extended. Cassie froze for a second but then hugged her back tightly. "It's absurd, these ways." Cassie knew how worried McGonagall was and how furious that the Ministry was going through with this.