Chapter 23: Register

Love.

They didn't have to say that they loved each other because they both could feel it, and still, they loved to remind each other of it with words as well. They said it every day. At breakfast, when they first saw each other if they hadn't slept in the same bed - which was getting rarer by day -, at lunch after their first work duties of the day were done, at dinner and before bed. In between those times, they also said it whenever they saw each other.

It was amazing. She was on a pink cloud and she wasn't going to come down any time soon, not on that territory anyway. Sure, classes were getting harder because she was preparing the students for their exams and she had a few more nightmares about Neville leaving her, but Cassie felt happy.

She was laying in Neville's bed, reading a book. She had woken up early and didn't want to wake him yet so instead, she decided to catch up on some leisure reading. Neville stirred in his sleep, mumbling something. She looked over at him. There was a frown on his face and he was clutching onto the sheets.

His movements became faster and his mumbles grew louder. He moved his head from left to right, moving his legs wildly as if he was trying to run away. He was having a nightmare. Cassie quickly put her book away and shook his gently.

"Nev? Neville, hey," she said, shaking his shoulders gently. "Neville? Hey... Hey... It's okay, it's okay. You're safe," she reminded him as soon as his eyes opened. He looked at her, a bewildered look in his eyes and his breathing fast. She gently stroked his hair and he cuddled into her, burying his face in the crook of her neck.

"Shh, it's okay," she whispered to him, rocking him gently in her arms. His breathing steadied again but she could feel his tears soak through the shirt she was wearing. "Baby, what happened?" she asked him gently. "Do you want me to get some tea?"

"No," he mumbled, pulling his face back slightly. He wiped his tears away and took a deep breath. Cassie kept playing with his hair, knowing it calmed him down. She wasn't the only one with reoccurring nightmares, Neville had them too. Usually about his parents, the Cruciatus Curse, Bellatrix Lestrange,  the Battle at Hogwarts or the time he got hit with Sectumsempra.

"Do you want to talk about it?" she asked softly, twirling a lock of his hair around her finger. He nodded and wrapped his arms tighter around her.

"It was about Bellatrix Lestrange again," he whispered. "She was torturing mum... then dad... and then you. I couldn't do anything. I was stuck. All I could do was watch. You were screaming so loud and I just... I couldn't help you."

"It was a nightmare, baby. I'm okay. I'm safe. Bellatrix is dead. She can't hurt me," she reminded him. He nodded and looked at her. "It'll get better. Maybe you should talk to someone about it all? Maybe to Poppy?"

He nodded and sighed softly. "Yeah. Perhaps that's a good idea," he said. She pressed a kiss on his forehead.

"I love you. I'm so proud of you, Nev," she whispered and hugged him tightly. He hugged back, nuzzling his face into the crook of her head once more.

They laid there for a little while until it was time to get up and get ready for breakfast. The Great Hall was buzzing as usual and they sat down in their usual spots. Flitwick glanced over at her and then tried handing her the Daily Prophet.

"Oh, I never read the Daily Prophet, thank you," she said politely, putting some food on her plate. He nodded.

"I'm aware of that. But I think you might want to read it this morning," he told her. She frowned a little and put her fork down. She took the Daily Prophet from him and started scanning the pages.