And The Guilty Shall Be Punished

Aria and I had a great time at dinner. I can't say Denver and my uncle did. We talked about a lot. Mostly about how Aria and I were indeed dating and liked each other very much. My uncle wasn't much help. He still continued to mock me. He continued to call Aria racial slurs under his breath. If not for my auntie watching me closely, I would have smacked him in front of everyone. No one disrespects my girlfriend.

When it was time to leave, I really didn't want to go home. Like, I love Aria and all, but I want to spend more time with her out of my house. I won't have another day off in months. I want to spend as much time with her tonight before the morning.

"My feet hurt?" Aria complained. "Would you mind carrying me, babe?"

"Carrying you where? To bed?" I joked.

"I was going to say that, but you beat me to it."

"Really?"

"You said it, not me."

We laughed and I opened the car door for her. She got in and I checked to make sure her head didn't hit anything or her dress wasn't going to get caught in the door. See? I'm such a gentleman. No more Denver. No more prying uncle. Life is going to be great from now on. I got in on the driver's side and started the car.

"Do you want to see something right quick?" I asked.

"Does it involve running?" Aria put on her seatbelt. "I've never had to avoid so many cameras."

"No running. I like to go there whenever I finish having dinner with my auntie. I've never taken anybody there, so don't worry about destroying a past memory."

"I like ruining past memories. Especially if Denver is involved in any of them."

I had to laugh. This thing Denver thought we had is finally over. I no longer have to pretend we were never a thing. She's out of my life and I finally have my uncle under control. Nothing can go wrong at this point, but I'm not trying to jinx myself. Aria's a good person and I plan to keep her around for a long, long time.

The drive to the edge of the city was quiet. Aria had taken off her shoes and thrown them in the backseat. The radio was on, playing the latest music from Jack Harlow. Aria didn't seem to like it, but who is she to mess with my radio? It's better she deals with it rather than try to complain. My car, my radio.

We arrived no later than thirty minutes after ten. The bridge was empty and I'm glad it seemed like there hadn't been anyone here for a long time. I got out of the car and opened Aria's door for her. I held out a hand for her to take.

"You aren't taking me here to kill me, are you?" she asked.

"...I would never, babe." I smiled. "I may have driven half an hour to get here, but I would never kill you. Not before letting you see what I see."

"Whatever." Aria smiled and took my hand. "What do you do out here?"

"I like to just sit on the edge of the bridge and watch the lights."

"Lights?"

"Mhm. They're beautiful to see every once in a while. Especially with someone special."

"Special, huh? And you always come out here alone?"

"...Yup. I like silence sometimes." I led her down to the edge of the broken bridge and helped her sit down. I took a seat beside her and pointed off to the far right. "I came on a bus from Sikeston to get here. I do remember meeting one of my cousins for the first time. I was only eighteen."

"You weren't born here?" Aria asked.

"Nope. I was born in Texas. Near the Mexican border. My dad was Mexican and my mom was...American. Just a little bit of Cuban. What about you?"

"...There's nothing special about me." There was a moment of silence before Aria sighed. "I was born in Washington. I got married when I was nineteen. I thought it was true love, but it took a turn for the worst when...my mom died. Yeah, it got bad when he decided he was going to go on that trip the week of the big storm. My dad was already sad about my mom's death. The guy went crazy."

"Mental?"

"Shut up. But, yeah. I couldn't take it anymore after Antonne died. I moved here in March."

She hasn't been in Kentucky that long? How could I not have known? Then again, she doesn't have the accent. She doesn't really go out. Except to the nightclub. She said she was an interior designer before, but I guess it makes sense not to know many people to start up a business again. Hmm...

"I do have a question I've been dying to ask." I looked towards the city. The lights were so much better from this angle. "Why did you suddenly cling to me like it was natural after I reached out to you?"

Aria kind of laughed, but didn't say anything. It's only a question. It's not like I asked why she chose to work at the nightclub and didn't get a real job. Or asked how her mom died. I don't care about any of that. I only want to know why she's clinging to me. No one has ever successfully tried to get me to get back with them. Aria did it in one try.

How is it that I had an interest in her? Not once have I ever clung to someone who was this mysterious. Is it because she's mysterious? I long to know more about her? Why is she even in my life making me a happy man? I've never been married. I'm taking in a broken woman. This can't possibly be love at first sight. Or could it?

"Sucks to not know, huh?" Aria finally said. My mouth hung open in surprise. Did she just trick me? "...The lights are pretty."

"Aria," I complained.

"What? I don't want to tell you. We've only been together for a day. It's too early to say why I wanted to stick around after you reached out." She sighed. "But, the lights really are pretty."

I huffed, but agreed. I'm glad I took her here. My phone rang, ruining the quiet moment between us. Aria glanced at me, but didn't say anything. I knew what she was thinking. I shouldn't be answering the phone. It's not like I have any other women to call. It could be Shayne. Or my secretary. Although my auntie never calls a lot, it could be her. And I'm glad I picked up.

"Hello?"

"Josué, where are you?" my auntie asked.

"Just outside of the city with Aria," I said. "Is there anything you need?"

"Your uncle's in the hospital."

I almost hung up. I mean, the man had it coming. If he dies, then he dies. Except, that wouldn't be good for my auntie. She'd have to move in with me and I can't have that. Especially if I have Aria around more often. But, Denver would finally stay away. She'd never have no one on her side to keep her near me. And I'd finally be able to do whatever I wanted without my uncle breathing down my back.

"So?" I nearly punched myself for being selfish. "Never mind. We're on our way back." I hung up before she could say anything else.

"What'd she say?" Aria asked.

"My uncle's in the hospital."

"Serves him right."

"...That's what I almost told her."