The Power Of Deceit

"Get your hands off of me," Lucius warned. "She's my sister, I should be the one asking how you think you know who took her."

"You know you're thinking the same thing," I barked. "Tell me what you know or I'll gut you like a pig."

"Whoa, now!" Maurice pulled me away from his brother. "We've tolerated you for so long. One thing we won't tolerate is threats. Don't test me, White boy."

"Stop calling me that!"

"Don't touch my brother like that."

Black men. They think they can threaten people just because they want to.

"That's two completely different things," I muttered. "I'm going to find her myself, if you guys think I'm not too White for you."

"No, you're not going to do anything."

"Maurice, you can't tell me what to do." I yanked away from him. "You both know what happened to Aria. You know who took her and you're this calm?!"

"Because we know nothing is going to happen to her. We got this. She's our responsibility. Don't step in just because you're her boyfriend. Boundaries, man."

"Both of you just shut up," Lucius snapped. "Aye, you need to go to see your uncle or something. We all know your aunt is worried about you. Maurice and I are going to find Nisha. Stay your behind here and do what rich, White boys like to do."

This is some BS. Why was I being the one kicked out of the plan to rescue Aria? I know I've only known her for a total of almost two weeks, but she deserves to see me when they find her. I'm the guy she confessed to. I'm the guy who said he'd do anything to keep her safe. I'm not living up to that promise. Does that make me a bad person now?

"Esta es exactamente la razón por la que hago las cosas yo mismo. Nadie quiere que le ayude a menos que las cosas se pongan muy mal. Soy como la caballería a la que nunca quieren llamar. Aish, les cortaré el cuello si eso significa conseguir lo que quiero. Aria no tiene por qué saberlo."

"Hey, I don't know what you just said, but watch your mouth." Maurice bucked at me. "Gone somewhere. We have things to do."

I kicked at the pavement and looked to Lucius for back up. I don't know why, but it seemed like the best thing to do at the moment. Lucius gave me the same look his brother was giving me and shrugged. I was alone here. Both of them wanted me to leave and I couldn't do anything about it.

The man who'd warned us about what had happened to Aria came out of the diner with a takeout bag. He nodded at us, but decided to stick around. I could make use of him once they decide to leave.

"Have you guys figured out what happened?" he asked.

"Yeah. It's nothing to worry about." Lucius nodded. "Just our sister playing a prank on us."

"That's good. I hope she's fine with that."

I rolled my eyes and huffed. A prank? That's all you can come up with? I could do way better.

"Yo, José! We taking your car."

💲💲💲💲💲💲

I kicked at the scuffed floor, not listening to a word my auntie was saying. I know she was probably planning to hit me, but I couldn't concentrate. Aria was missing and her brothers were two men I'm still refusing to trust right now. My auntie loves them, so why am I having such a hard time doing the same? Is it because they have a better relationship with Aria than she has with me?

"Josué, ¿me escuchaste?"

"Yes, of course. I heard everything."

"...¿Qué dije?"

"Algo, algo. Estará bien."

My auntie smacked me upside the head and began muttering about how I've become just like my uncle. I snapped back to reality and moved to the other side of the hospital room. I am nothing like my uncle. Nothing. She must not love me if she's saying I'm like my uncle. I threw myself into my work to get away from him, not become him.

"Tía, no digas eso," I complained. "I'm not like him. Just sort of preocupado."

"Don't blame it on your work, mijo. Or Aria and her hermanos. You are becoming your uncle. It won't be long before you become mean just like him."

"No, no. I am not like that. I'd never be so mean."

My auntie shook her head and sat down beside my uncle. If not for Aria's brothers, I would be helping find her. I wouldn't be here, hearing this crap spewing from my auntie's mouth. She also doesn't know what happened to Aria. She thinks I'm just being forced to come here, because I was being too clingy. I'll let her keep believing that until Aria's been found.

"What's Aria up to these days?" Auntie asked.

"Playing hide n' seek," I muttered.

"What?"

"Nothing, Auntie." I went to the window. "How has he been? I only heard him say something last week or something."

"Two nights ago, Josué. He called your name, but didn't say anything else."

"Maybe he was trying to apologize for being a douchebag of an uncle."

"Josué Young! Don't speak about your uncle like that."

"I can't help that it's true, Auntie. ¡Perdón!"

I knew the shoe was coming before I even registered what I'd done to myself. I didn't duck in time before one of her chanclas hit me in the head. I whipped around to see her trying to hold in a laugh.

"Ha pasado un tiempo desde que hice eso, mijo." She shrugged. "You can give it back to me now."

"¿Qué? You want it back just so you can hit me again?" I scoffed. "Estas loca."

"¿Estoy loco? No, mijo, eres tú el que está loco."

How the heck am I crazy? I don't throw my shoes at people's heads. Even if I did, I would never admit it anyway. No need to let my auntie have something to pick on me about. It's already bad she knows about how I'm obsessed with my own image.

"¿Dónde está tu reloj?" She pointed to my bare wrist.

That's when I remembered that I'd taken it off when I was eating. I gripped my wrist and thought back to when we left the restaurant. I hadn't really looked at Maurice and Lucius when they ran out after me. One of them could have it. I'll just ask them tomorrow. Hopefully I can ask them about it tomorrow. No telling how crazy this brother of theirs is.

"Los hermanos de Aria deben haberlo recogido. Lo conseguiré de ellos más tarde," I said. Only to reassure myself that the watch was not lost. "I'm going to go home. Get some sleep before going to work in a few hours."

"No hagas nada estúpido." My auntie blew me a kiss as I handed her shoe to her. "Be safe, my love."

"I will. You don't do anything crazy. Like unplugging his life support." I smiled.

"No eres el único que lo quiere muerto."