Just Like Delilah

"Have you spoken to her yet?"

"No. She hasn't been home. Some guy gave me back the watch, but I'm not sure it's mine."

"How would you know? You've only worn it so many times." Shayne frowned.

"Shayne, I would know my father's watch anywhere," I pointed out. "It doesn't feel right. The engraving on the back looks too new. Like someone made a duplicate."

"If you're that worried someone has duped you...we'll take a look into it." He sighed. "Give me the watch and I'll have Jared take it apart. Maybe Tina can help."

The hall grew silent as I thought about Tina knowing about the company's secret. It wasn't impossible, but she couldn't possibly know. It's a watch. She'll probably assume I'm just being a jerk. It's not like I can't trust her or anything.

"Whatever. Just make sure they know how to put it back together." I took it off and handed it to Shayne.

"I'll stop by the company later and see what we can do about getting those documents here safely."

"Thanks. See you later." I waved him away.

I opened the door to my office to reveal the person I would have never expected to come see me. She looked perfectly fine for someone who hasn't seen her boyfriend in nearly a week. While I worked my butt off trying to find her, she was probably enjoying some other guy's attention. While I'm trying to find my watch, she's sleeping in another guy's bed. Or am I just being the jealous boyfriend she hopes I am?

Am I even her boyfriend anymore?

Seeing that she never once asked for her phone back, I'm assuming she got another one. Or at least learned how to survive without one. Something about her has got me on edge. Ever since her brothers arrived, I've been feeling cautious about what I do around her. We haven't had a good talk in days. I don't think I can tell her anything that's been happening at the company anymore.

"It reeks of desperation and cheap perfume," Aria said.

"Denver was here earlier." I closed the door. "How'd you get into my house without me noticing?"

"...I have my ways, Josué. I came back for my phone. Sorry about what happened last week. When you haven't seen someone who disappears on you a lot, you stop thinking and just do."

"Who was he?"

"A friend of my brothers." Aria turned in the chair to look at me. Man, I've missed her so much. "Are you going to sit down?"

I slowly walked over to my desk, not so subtly avoiding walking too close to her. We stared at each other for far too long, but it seemed like seconds to me. Aria's eyes seemed empty but tired. Something was wrong with her. Even her coworkers at the nightclub said she hadn't shown up in the past week.

"You want more than your phone, Aria. What's up?"

"What makes you think I want more than my phone? I could live without my phone if I needed to. I'm here to see your handsome face and to remind you that I'm the woman you want."

"You think I willingly let Denver enter my home?"

"What? Are you going to tell me your uncle woke up and told her to come here?"

"Maybe he did."

Aria smiled and got up from her seat. I was weary of her presence at this point. I don't want her close to me. It's going to mess up my train of thought. I won't be able to get her to tell me what she knows. What are we to each other?

She straddled me, putting her forehead to mine. I didn't want to look like I was angry with her, but I don't want her to think I missed her too much. Aria is a woman who could easily manipulate a situation. Making me the bad person if she has to. I wouldn't put it past her to know more than she says about me.

"I'm sorry, Josué," she said. "I'm sorry I've been making you worry so much about me. I can't tell you too much about the guy I was with, but I promise you I did not sleep with him. I swear you're the only guy for me."

"Really?" I asked.

"Cross my heart, hope to die. My brothers can tell you the same. I don't normally leave with a guy I haven't seen in years. I was excited and forgot about what was waiting for me in the diner."

"You're not a normal woman, Ari. You have too many secrets."

"So do you, so we're even."

"It doesn't work like that."

"In my world...it does. But, I can promise I won't ever do that again."

"Swear it. On my uncle's life."

"What?" Aria leaned back with a confused look on her face. "You want me to swear on your uncle's life?"

"Yeah," I said and shrugged. "I'll know you're telling the truth, because we both don't like him."

"...On your uncle's life. Now, can I have my phone back?"

"Of course you can." I opened a drawer and got her phone. Aria tried to take it, but I held it just out of her reach and smiled. "Doesn't matter if you get it anyway. You still have to figure out the password."

Aria's mouth dropped open and I laughed. She really thought it was going to be this easy? I've gone through all her contacts, but didn't find anything incriminating. The least I could do to keep her from leaving me is change her password. She'll be forced to ask me for it. Not unless she goes the easy route and asks her brothers for help.

"Good luck figuring it out." I winked. "If you know me like you do, then you know what it is."

"I can just use my fingerprint." She smiled triumphantly.

"That disappeared right along with face recognition. Nice try, Ari. Could you get off me? I need to finish my work."

Aria pouted, but obliged. She took her phone and went back to her seat. So, she's not going to leave? Fine with me, but I'm not dropping any hints. I don't care how many times she claims I love her too much to keep her locked out, she can't make me tell. My phone is with Shayne, so she can't call her brothers to help her out.

"You can leave if you want to find out that bad," I said. "...It's your choice."

"You want me to leave, don't you?" Aria crossed her arms.

"I love your company, I do, but sometimes I just need to get things done alone. You can roam the house, if you want. Just don't try to get past any locked doors."

"Whatever. I'll see you tonight, right?"

"What's tonight?"

Aria huffed and rolled her eyes. "Your aunt asked me over for dinner. I assumed you were going, too."

"I have things to do, Aria. If she wants me there, she'll call me. Trust me. I know my auntie."

"Ugh, fine. See ya."