In Which They Test My Trust

"Hey, hey, hey. Guess what?" Aria bounced up to me and took my hand. "Come here, babe. I got something to show you."

"I thought you said we wouldn't show affection in front of your brothers," I hissed.

"Don't worry about them. They can't do anything to you. They know we're dating." She laughed and took one of my arms to put around her waist. "Anyway, I think I saw Denver today. She looked pretty sad. I'd say she misses you, but there are more important things to worry about."

"Like what?"

"Your uncle. You haven't seen him in a week. Your aunt said he said something last night."

"So?"

"If I were your aunt, I'd hit you for saying that, but I'm not, so I don't care either. But, I think you should go see him. At least say you came to see him at one point, so you don't feel guilty."

"Guilty? Me? No, I won't ever feel guilty." I opened the door to the diner. "Maybe. Why are they open so late?"

"I don't know. Maybe they like the dinner rush."

Mmm. I couldn't be myself when her brothers were around. They were always hovering nearby like Aria really needed to be protected by three guys. I guess it sort of worked, because I didn't catch any guys staring at her like she was their next meal. They again, I didn't catch any females looking at me like I was their next meal. It was sad. But, it is what it is.

We ordered a meal fit for a king. Food none of us couldn't possibly eat alone. But, Aria and her brothers proved me quite wrong. Once the food was on the table, they tore into it like it was their last meal. I just sipped my drink and pretended like everything was normal. It's not like I'm embarrassed or anything.

"Hey, could you turn that up, Nina?" Lucius called across the diner.

I turned to look at the television, but didn't see anything interesting. Just regular, old news. I never listen to the news when I eat. It always ruins a meal. Like what if I'm eating and hear something about a plane crash with mangled bodies and blood everywhere? Right. No one wants to hear that.

I took off my watch and set it beside my plate. Aria smiled at me and leaned over to take something off my plate. I don't know why women do that. Like you have your own food. This is mine. That is yours. There's no need for you to take my food when you have your own. You still hungry? Order something else! My food is off-limits.

"Hands off," I said. "Do all women do that?"

"Do what?" she asked.

"Take food from a guy's plate. You have your own food."

"I guess we do. It taste's much better when it's from you."

"I guess they say that, too, huh?"

"...Yes." Aria giggled, kissed my cheek, then went back to her food.

"Oh, my gosh!" A high-pitched squeal came from across the diner. "Guys, it's Nisha."

For a second, I was confused. Who the heck is Nisha? Then, I remembered what Aria had told me last week. Nisha was technically her legal name. It shouldn't be weird that a lot of people know her as Nisha. Aria stood up and returned the scream back to the people who seemed to know her.

"Aisha!" she exclaimed. "It's so good to see you again, girl. Where have you been?"

"Around. I just got back from a trip with my family. I'll send pics later. How have you been holding up? I heard about what's his face." Aisha laughed.

"I'm actually doing so great. I want you to meet someone." Aria turned to me with a grin on her face. "This is the guy I was telling you guys about. Josué, that's Aisha and her sisters."

"Nice to meet you, handsome. You had better be treating Nisha right."

"Don't worry, he is," Maurice spoke up. Aisha's head snapped in his direction so fast, I thought she was going to give herself whiplash. "Hey, baby."

"Aisha's fiancé," Aria muttered. "...He was--"

"Why the heck didn't you pick us up from the airport?" Aisha snapped. "You literally remember everything else, but to pick us up? What kind of man are you?"

"I'm not blaming Nisha or anything, but I kinda been a lil' preoccupied with her safety. Sorry?"

"Whatever. Nisha, it's good to see you again. Call me?"

"Of course, Aisha." Aria kissed her cheek and watched the sisters leave. She was about to sit down, but her phone rang. She looked at it and her face sort of...contorted? "Be right back guys. My boss is calling me for some...reason."

"Mkay." I turned my attention to her brothers. "You both surprise me more and more each time we're around each other. A fiancée, Maurice? What about you, Lucius?"

"Don't worry about me, White boy. My life is mine for a reason." Lucius went back to his food.

"What he said." Maurice ducked his head and continued eating. Okay then.

I ignored them, too and decided it was best I tried to enjoy the time I was spending with her brothers. And not getting strangled or shot up. Dang it, what am I thinking? I can't seem to not think about someone killing me. Especially Aria's brothers. Am I racist?

"Yo, whose girl is that outside?" A large man walked into the diner. "Or was outside. Someone just took her in a red Superleggera. Here's her phone."

I looked at the device in his hand and was suddenly on my feet. Aria's brothers looked up at me in confusion. I didn't say anything, but instead went to get Aria's phone from the guy. I unlocked it and nearly dropped it after seeing the number. Blocked. Why didn't she say anything? She knows I believe almost everything that comes out of her mouth.

"Guys, come on!" I ordered. "I think I know what happened."

The diner was dead silent. Maurice and Lucius looked at each other and stood up quickly. Lucius threw down a few bills and they followed me and the guy outside.

"Which way did they go?" I demanded.

"I would say that way," he said, pointing to our left. "But, do you see the skid marks making a U-turn? I'm more than sure he turned around the moment I came to tell you guys."

"I knew I should have asked her about the call. She looked unsure about who was calling."

"We're here brothers," Maurice said. "We should have noticed. It's not your fault. Thanks, man. You're a real lifesaver."

"No problem. Not too many guys like me out there."

"Whatever. Enjoy your evening."

I was pulling out my hair at the moment. Aria was gone. Only one person could know where she was. Or maybe the sisters were playing a trick on her. Or I am right and I'm not crazy. Her brother found her too fast and he's already come to get her. Maybe he trapped Aria's boss from the nightclub and used her phone to lure Aria outside. Only to shove her into a fancy car he might have thought no one would take notice of.

"You know your brother took her." I walked up to Lucius and pushed him up against the diner window. "Tell me everything you know."