Coming To An Understanding

My uncle was awake when I entered his hospital room. I wasn't sure why he chose to be here, but that's his problem. I can say something good came out of him being hit over the head. He's a much nicer man. Regrets his decisions about my life and even regrets introducing me to Denver. I don't mind her company much, but it's nice to know he doesn't want me to marry her anymore.

The room was quiet, besides the constant beeping of his heart monitor. He seemed fine from where I was standing, but I knew he wasn't. A heart attack is one thing, but getting hit with a baseball bat while having a heart attack is another. And it's a good thing, because now I don't have to deal with his constant ranting and complaints. Maybe he'll like Aria. Not that I would care.

"What did you want me for?" I asked.

"...You're still as distant as ever," he muttered. "I heard about what happened."

"What?"

My uncle looked at me like I was an idiot. I knew what he was talking about, but I wasn't about to admit to anything. If he found out the watch was a fake and I was irresponsible, I'm sure he'd love to complain to the Board of Directors. It's not like they can actually do something to me. Shayne would be allowed to fire them before they try to kick me out as the CEO.

"That watch is the only thing keeping your team from losing faith in your company," he said.

"How? It's just a watch." I shook my head. Not only did he become nice, he became senile.

"Why do you think reporters went crazy over you wearing the watch when you were accepted as the new CEO?"

"Because...they know fashion?"

"Josué, ¡basta!"

I rolled my eyes and chose to take the seat right beside his bed. Maybe I am being too harsh. He's a changed man, apparently. I should at least pretend I understand where he's coming from now. I have to hand it to him though, he dropped Denver like she'd never been in his life. That's not something I would have been able to do if I'd really liked her.

"Josué, did Shayne explain it to you?"

"My secretary did..."

"And what did he say?"

"He told me my father was able to extend a battery's life. The watch is his only prototype, because it seemed to have been a mistake in the lab."

"I'm sure that's not even what he said, but at least you know now." My uncle sighed and pulled at his medical bracelet. "I'm never saying this again, so I want you to listen really closely. I apologize for being a jerk when you wouldn't listen to whatever I told you to do. I saw Denver for who she was some time ago when she wouldn't stop bugging me. She said she'd kill if she had to. Sorry for trying to make you marry a psychopath?"

I nodded, stopping my uncle from ripping the bracelet off his arm. He looked at me, but didn't say anything. There was one thing I hated my uncle doing: worrying over nothing.

"It's going to be fine, Uncle," I said. "Is there anything else I need to know about this watch?"

"Your father wanted me to have it, but I told him it was safer with you. Apparently it wasn't..."

"Really?"

"Yeah. Anyway, when he first came up with the idea, everyone laughed in his face. I didn't. I saw potential and I needed his company to see that my brother wasn't someone to be laughed at. I helped him see the first prototype through. And the second, and the third, and the seventh. It wasn't until he noticed a few mistakes in the original formula did he realize he'd been doing a lot wrong.

Usually, after a year and a half, watches stop working. It took your father up until he died to figure out he'd finally done something better than Energizer. He would've been famous for it if he hadn't gone missing during the hiking trip. I do believe someone thought he had the watch on him and let you live, so you'd be marked as a psychopath. Everyone knows you like...weird stuff, so they would have blamed you off the bat if not for your age and how you looked."

"That was one time, Uncle. It's not like I would have taken the time to plan out their murders. I could barely concentrate on one thing for long periods of time." I crossed my arms. "How do we know someone in the company didn't do it?"

"Everyone had been accounted for that night. Anyone who was in Texas that night and could not recollect where they'd been were fired and interrogated."

"So no company leads?"

"No. We heard about you and got you out of there. I know you weren't planning on becoming a CEO, but it's nice to have a fresh face we can teach."

"...I wanted to go to the military."

"Of course you did."

My uncle and I shared a look and at that moment, I realized I had never understood him. He'd been hurt by a lot of people and lost the trust of his brother's employees. I thought he was being hard on me, because he could and I couldn't do anything about it. Now that I've seen him at his worst, it's easier to see that he's just like me. Maybe more worried about the wellbeing of the company that should've been his.

"So...what do I do?" I asked.

"What do you mean?" My uncle looked at me through narrowed eyes. "Oh, I don't know. Do you want someone to have the watch and use it for their company or do you want to get it back and show all of Kentucky that your father wasn't a liar?"

"Huh..."

"It's you who decides the fate of his company. There is one person I hope doesn't have the watch and never gets it." My uncle glanced at the door. "Julius Payne."

Why did the last name sound so familiar? Maybe I've heard it somewhere else? Or maybe it's a common last name. I do know a couple of people with the same last name, but it's hitting different this time.

"But, let's forget about that now," he said. "How'd Denver take it when you told her I didn't care for her anymore?"

"...I had to call the police." I sighed.

"Really?"

"Yes, really. I've never been more afraid for my life than I was before coming here. I hope they get her help and don't throw her in jail."

"I doubt either of those will happen. Her father has a way around things. I hope you and Aria stay together--"

"It's a little too late for that, don't you think?" I suppressed a smile. "I decided to come see you and not go to dinner Auntie had planned for her and Aria. Aria wanted me to come with her, but you know..."

"I do know. By the way, Shayne told me about the watch you got back. I hope you know it's a fake."

"Yeah. I kinda figured. Does this mean I really have to go after it? I mean, I want the company to stay ahead, but do you really think they'll be able to make more without the equations?"

"Of course not, but you need the watch to make sure the new watches are exactly like the original."

So, I guess it's settled. I'm going after a watch. But where do I start? I don't even know who has it. Not unless...

"Thanks, Uncle. I'll make sure to come back with the watch the next time I see you." I got up and nodded at him. "Until next time."

"Until next time."