All Work, Some Play

Bianca tugged at the sleeve of my suit jacket, pointing out places I never wanted to step foot in. I loved her as a tour guide, but if she said one more thing about traditions, I was going to toss her off the nearest bridge. Women like her are the ones that make me want to kill myself sometimes. They get too excited about things others probably haven't seen a day in their lives. At first, it was cute, but now...I just want to shove cotton in my ears and move along.

"Repeat after me," I interrupted.

"Hmm?" Bianca slid a bracelet on her wrist.

"Mi grupo turístico me encuentra molesta."

"Mi grupo turístico me encuentra molesta. What is that supposed to mean?"

The lady we were buying from, caught my eye and pursed her lips. I could tell that she was trying not to laugh. Or she was trying to tell me to lie and not tell her what it meant. I mean, I would have said it in English, but it would have been even more embarrassing. Bianca knew Spanish, but not enough to realize I could make her sound dumb if I wanted to.

"In due time, my love. We have to go before he realizes something is up."

"He won't. I promise you. You heard him on the phone, he's clueless." Bianca held up her arm. The sun bounced off the gold bracelet straight into my eyes. I flinched, but gave her a thumbs up. "Lo tomaremos."

"Gracias. Que tenga un lindo día."

As we neared Payne's company, the group began to split off into smaller groups. Bianca went off with a couple of my guards to throw Payne further off our trail. Tina went with Edward to stake out our surroundings. Shayne had already gone ahead of us to mess with their security. If I know him like I think I do, then he's already gotten friendly with most of them. It'll be easy for me to come and go without them wondering who I am.

I'd brought along one of my androids to test the waters. Its primary language had been set to Spanish and it was dressed like a native. Anyone passing by would assume I'm getting a tour. It's true to an extent. The remainder of my guards were hanging back so as to not draw any suspicion towards me.

"Your name is Dane. No one, but me and Shayne, will be able to speak to you. If you are to wander off alone, I will find you."

"Yes, sir. Is there anything else you want me to know?"

"Not really. Just keep a close eye out for anyone who works for Julius Payne. We may need to pay them a visit before Payne decides to move forward with his patent."

"Yes, sir. So far, I have spotted multiple employees, but none of them are close to Julius Payne. We will need someone with a ninth floor security badge."

"Well done, Dane. For now, you listen and I give the orders. Unless you spot someone with the right security badge, no talking."

"Yes, sir. I understand."

This is why I love robots. They listen and understand everything you tell them. With a little advanced programming, they could pass off as fully human in certain situations. My phone rang as I was about to ask about nearby attractions.

"Yep?" I answered.

"I just left the building and the staff think you're an inspector," Shayne said. "They won't be friendly at first, but make sure you let them know that you're not there to shut them down. I've already gotten two of them to give you any incriminating information, if they can."

"How did you manage to do that?"

"...Just know that Tina and Bianca will be extremely pissed."

I chuckled, knowing exactly what he'd gotten them into.

"Don't mind their reactions. Why don't you make sure that Payne is still in Este? I don't want him sneaking up on me while I'm trying to ruin him."

"I'm on it. Edward sent out a text saying Bianca has already thrown him off our trail again. He's taking Nisha out to tour the city."

"So we have more than enough time to do what we need to do."

"Yes, sir. I'll be waiting across the street. Don't say anything I wouldn't say."

Of course I was going to ruin it somehow. What's a good disguise without a little bad decision making?

"I'm not making any promises," I said. "Dane will keep me in check. You don't have to worry too much about me."

"Well, you better change Dane's orders. If you say something dumb and they kick you out, Dane won't be able to stop you from being dumb if you told him you give the orders while he says nothing."

Dang. He knows me so well, it's freaky.

"Fine, fine. Hope you have fun getting Tina and Bianca to agree to whatever you have planned." I smirked.

"You worry about you, Josué. I'll make sure I won't die." Shayne hung up before I could say anything else.

We got Nisha and Payne in Ciudad del Este. His men could be scouting for all we know. I don't know how many businesses he has, so I'll have to be extra careful. It's better to gain the enemy's trust before I do what I plan to do.

"Dane, stop me if I start to say something crazy." I chuckled.

"Of course, sir," he said. "Is there anything else?"

"That will be all."

Now it's time for me to put our plan in action. Once I was in front of Payne's company, Dane and I spotted Shayne across the street. He nodded at us and I entered the building.

"Mr. Benitez, it's good to see you here." A man walked up to me like we had been long time friends. "Come this way. We'll begin the inspection right away."

"Is there anything I should know before we check anything?" I asked.

"I don't think so, sir. I assure you we're up to date with our equipment."

"I'll hold you to that. Is Mr. Payne in today?"

"No, sir. He said he'd be here tomorrow. Do you want me to tell him you are here?"

"I would prefer you don't. The last time I spoke with Mr. Payne, he threatened to fire me. I don't think he'll mind if you didn't tell him I stopped by this time."

"Of course, sir."

We began walking towards the stairs. He opened the "Employees Only" door for us.

"Go straight ahead and you'll come out in the Tech hall."

"Thank you."

"No problem. I hope you can leave us a good report this time."