big chunk

I start to push Grayson, trying to get him to hurry up. There's no point in being quiet anymore, they already heard us. We're full on running now, only a couple feet from the door.

"Go, go, go! Down the street!" Grayson yells. Jax and Kate start running and Grayson is right behind them. I'm only a couple steps away from them, when I feel a sharp pain in my upper arm.

I snap my head around and cry out when I feel what it is. One of the Scavengers threw a broken piece of metal at me, and it hit home. I gasp in a breath of air and keep running as fast as I can to the others. I catch up with them as they slow down, looking behind me.

I don't take the time to look and I keep running. We slow to a jog, all breathing heavily. When I finally risk glance behind me I let out a big, wincing breath. They're not chasing us anymore.

Jax leads us to an abandoned book store, but by the time we get there I don't look at details because of the pain in my arm. I glance down and see a big chunk of metal lodged in my tricep.

Once we're all inside Jax closes and locks the door and I toss my backpack on the floor.

"Everyone okay?" He asks in a hurried voice. Everyone else nods, but I wince and hold out a hand on the shelf to steady me.

"Sawyer? What happened?" Grayson asks. I'm trying to tell them that I'm fine and it's just a cut, but before I can I feel the hot liquid coming from my arm.

"You're bleeding, Sawyer what happened?" He comes over to me. I take a few deep breaths, I hate myself for not being able to answer, I'm probably overreacting and look stupid. I take a few deep breaths and tell myself to manage the pain.

"I think they threw something at me," I answer in one quick breath. They all look at me in horror, Kate looking close to tears. I give my best reassuring smile, before I slowly slide down to the floor.

"I just need something to stop the bleeding," I say, leaning my head back on the shelf. I feel a little woozy, there isn't that much blood, is there? I close my eyes, but I struggle to open them back up. My eyelids feel heavier than normal, a nap is sounding really good right now. My body must agree, so I let it take me into a deep sleep.