home

We sit there talking to each other until late in the night. We share things about our pasts, and things we would do in our futures. Or would've done.

Our conversation gets interrupted by David running through the door that leads from the cafeteria to the hall we were sitting in.

"There are more people. I don't know who, but I thought I should tell you first." he says in a rushed tone. I knew he was talking to me, so I jumped up and followed him.

I could hear the others coming behind me, and my heart fluttered at the thought of them. We rush through the millions of doors into the main lobby. We get there just in time to see people start walking in.

They must be new, because no one says their name or seems to think they're familiar. I almost give up hope again. Maybe they're really gone. The thought hits me like a truck. They can't be, I need them.

My vision starts to blur with unshed tears. I try to blink them away, willing myself not to cry this time. I inhale sharply as I see two more figures come through the door, holding hands.

Everything stops. I don't hear or see anything other than them as I push my way through the crowd. I know it the moment they see me, their faces light up in shock and they run over to me.

I throw my arms around them and squeeze them as hard as I can. I didn't realize it but I was sobbing. My mom was crying too and my dad was whispering my name over and over. They were here. I was home.

After clinging to my parents for what was honestly probably an hour, I took them to meet the others. My friends, my other family. We approach the table they're sitting at and they all look up at us. I crack a huge smile as I say,

"These are my parents, Grace and Sam." There's an excited murmur of hi's and I motion for them to come sit beside me. I take a seat next to Grayson, my parents on my other side.

"I'm David, Jax's dad." David says, introducing himself.

"And I'm Michelle, Wyatt's mom." Michelle says.

"Hi, it's so nice to meet you all," my mom gushes.

Everyone else introduces themselves, and I can't help but stare at my parents. They're really here. Grayson winks at me with a big grin on his face and I turn around to see my parents staring at us.
That's a conversation for later.

As I look around at our table I feel good and really happy for the first time since the beginning of the storm. I know now that with my parents here, my friends here, and Grayson here, that there's hope. Everything's gonna be okay.