Chapter 2 First Day

Maybe my first day of school wouldn't have started off so awful if I didn't oversleep. I had somehow managed to sleep through all ten of my alarms and didn't wake up until my mom barged into my room.

          "Addison, Honey, wake up!" She pulled my blanket off and shook my shoulders. "You're gonna be late for school unless you get up."

          With that I flew straight up in bed, gasping for air. My mom finally left my room after she was sure that I was up. I frantically got of bed and went to the bathroom to do my business and brush my hair. Luckily I had slept with it in a bun last night so when I let it down it fell in nice waves. I quickly pulled on a pair of blue jeans, a tight black long-sleeve, some heeled booties and a matching black jacket.

          Thank god the high school was close. I grabbed a granola bar from my mom as I ran out the front door. My backpack was half slung over my shoulder as I rifled through the bottom pocket in search of my car keys. I shoved the rest of the granola bar in my mouth while I unlocked the door and started the engine.

          Great, I was gonna be late on my first day. Just amazing.

          Luckily the school was less than 10 minutes away. I pulled into the parking lot right as the bell rang and groaned in annoyance. I grabbed my backpack and looked at my car before goofing on a hunt to try and find the front office. This school was a lot smaller than the one back in Arizona, so it only took me a few minutes to find the office.

          "Hi, I'm Addison Avery and it's my first day so I'm here to get my class schedule," I said nervously fiddling with my fingers.

          "Right here, Dear!" The secretary announced passing me a few sheets of paper. "I have your class schedule, locker number and combination right here. I hope you have a good day," she smiled brightly at me.

          "Thank you." Maybe today wouldn't be so awful after all.

          OOMPH!

          Somebody bumped right into me while I was busy looking at my classes and the school map. Whoever it was sent the papers flying out of hands and all over the floor.

          "Oh, damn!" They called out. "I'm so sorry." He bent down to collect my papers before I could.

          "Oh, uh," I stuttered out. "It's really ok, I wasn't looking where I was going."

          "Here," the guy said standing back upright and giving me my papers back. "I'm Grayson."

          "Addison," I smiled grabbing my papers and pulling the one with my classes to the top.

          "New?" Grayson laughed.

          "That obvious?"

          "In a small town like this, you don't get a lot of new faces. It's mostly people moving away from here, not the other way around."

          "Hey you wouldn't happen to know where English with Mr. Hanson is, would you?" I asked Grayson. I had been looking at this stupid school map for a few minutes and it was already driving me insane.

          "Right this way," Grayson said while doing a fake bow and pointing behind him. "My lady."

          "Why thank you, kind Sir," I teased back.

          Grayson lead me to the end of the first floor. The whole time he was pointing out what random classrooms were on the way and where the bathrooms were. He told me that the cafeteria was just off of the first stairwell, it was its own separate little building.

          "And this would be English," Grayson announced pointing at the last door. "Mr. Hanson is really easy so you'll be good."

          "Thank you," I smiled as he began to turn back around and walk the way we just came.

          Taking a deep breath I knocked twice on the door before taking a step back and waiting for the teacher to open it.

          "Come in!" Someone shouted from the other side.

          Very timidly I opened the door, only to be met with all eyes on me. "Hi, sorry I'm Addison and I got a little lost of the way." I mean it wasn't a complete lie. I did get lost, after all, he didn't have to know that I also slept in and was late.

          "Come in, Come in," Mr. Hanson, I assumed beckoned me into the classroom.

          I took a few small steps into the classroom and ran my eyes over everyone in the class. No one looked like they would hate me, at least I hoped not.

          "Class let's give a warm welcome to Midnight Creek's newest student, Miss Addison Avery." Mr. Hanson announced to the whole class. Everyone replies with a mumbled 'hi'. "Now Addison why don't you go take a seat beside Ivy," he pointed at a girl near the back of the class. She had a cute blonde bob and light blue eyes.

          I simply nodded my head and walked quickly over to the empty seat.

          "Hi, I'm Ivy," she greeted once I sat down and pulled out a notebook.

          "Addison," I smiled back. "But I guess you already knew that."

          Ivy laughed lightly at my joke and it didn't take us long to start talking about anything and everything. We made sure we weren't too loud so Mr. Hanson wouldn't yell at us. She told me all about herself and her boyfriend, she was really nice and sweet.

           Right before the bell rang she grabbed my arm, "you should come to eat lunch with me and my friends. I feel like you'd love them and get along really well."

          "Sure," I agreed. Ivy smiled wide at this and told me she'd meet me at the cafeteria doors at lunch.

          I grabbed my notebook and backpack before wishing Ivy a 'see you later' and making my way to my next class, biology.