Chapter Seven: Sophia Peletier

•seven•

Beatrix

My body jumps from being startled and I almost fall out of the truck. Before my butt leaves the seat though, someone catches me and pushes me back into a sitting position. I flutter my eyes open to see Daryl standing there with an annoyed expression on his face.

"Ya gotta get out. I'm ditchin' the truck because it's not good on gas," he explains while I grab my bag and hop out of the blue pickup.

"Where are you gonna ride then?" I question as he pulls my pole out of the truck bed and sits it down beside of me.

"Merle's motorcycle. Already filled it up and everything. Everyone's ready to go," Daryl pushes me towards the RV and I take the hint that I can't ride with him anymore. Not that I'd want to anyway. He's rude and he doesn't talk much. I'm not a huge fan of rude people.

"Hey, Dale," I smile, walking up to the RV. "Got room for one more?"

"Of course," Dale pats my shoulder and ushers me in the RV. "You can just put your stuff in the back with the medical supplies."

"Thank you, Dale," I climb into the RV and set my bag and IV pole in the back room, then sit down at the table beside of Shane. "What are you guys doing?"

"Cleaning guns," Shane mumbles. "You know how to shoot?"

"No. I never really felt the need to learn," I shrug. It's true, I never tried to shoot one. I don't even like holding one.

"When we get somewhere safe, I'll teach you," Shane throws an arm around my shoulders. "After all, I am a licensed instructor."

"Sounds like fun," I do my best fake smile and he buys it. Shooting a gun is something I would rather not do. Ever.

-

"Stupid radiator hose," Dale angrily puts the RV in park and turns off the key. Shane, Andrea, Glenn and I follow him out of the RV listening to him rant, "I told you all that that hose wouldn't last no time."

"Well if we can't find a hose in this place, we'll never find one," Shane shakes his head, looking around. We're in the middle of a freeway full of abandoned cars.

"We can scavenge here," Rick says. "Siphon some fuel and get these cars out of the way to fit the RV through and head on to Fort Benning."

"I don't know how I feel about this," Lori holds a hand over her eyes, blocking out the sun. "This is a graveyard."

"I don't like it," I agree with Lori. "Taking things from here just doesn't feel right."

"We could find medicine and bandages in the cars," Rick looks at me, knowing that I'll agree.

"I'll look for the medical supplies," I change my mind and take walk off to find a car that looks promising.

"If I see any medicine in these cars, how will I know which ones to take?" T-Dog asks from behind me. He's siphoning gas from the car beside of mine.

"Take them all," I tell him. "We can use everything we find at some point or another. That's the beauty of medicine, one pill could treat dozens of different diseases. We shouldn't let any go to waste."

"Alright then," he nods his head and moves into another car.

God, this is morbid. As I rummage through each bag and suitcase, I think about what happened to the person it belonged to. Obviously they're dead, but I just wonder how it happened. Maybe they died of some disease that wasn't a walker bite, but I'll never know. After not finding anything other than a box of band aids and some peroxide, I move to the next car.