Chapter Fifty-Two: Blast From the Past

fifty-two

Beatrix

When I wake the next morning, Daryl is gone. I sigh, rolling over to swing my legs off of the bed. I can already tell it's going to be a long day. There's too much going on, with Baxly coming back into my life, Lori and T-Dog dying, and especially the whole Governor situation.

My number one question, though, is how T-Dog died from walkers. He should have been able to fight off the infection since I had been injecting him. And how did Lori die from walkers? She should have been in bed all day. I just wish I knew who to ask about this stuff, because I know Rick is definitely not a good option. Maybe I'll find Beth and talk to her.

I stretch my muscles as I pull myself up out of bed. Walking over to the small dresser where mine and Daryl's clothes are stored, I pull open the top drawer. I reach for my scrubs on the left side, but drop them after a second thought. That's not what I am anymore. I reach for the jeans and plain T-shirt instead, changing into them and my boots.

As I make my way around the corner I can hear the group already in a heated discussion about what to do about The Governor. I quietly make my way down in front of the other cells, taking a seat on the edge of the balcony, letting my legs dangle off the edge, so that I don't interrupt anybody standing in the room around me by walking down and in front of them. My eyes land on Baxly as he speaks.

"We should have left here last night," he shakes his head from inside his cell. "But it's too late for that now. He probably has scouts at every exit of this place by now."

"We ain't scared of that prick," Daryl says, causing me to jump as he walks behind me. I didn't even realize he was there.

"You should be," Baxly replies cooly, leaning against the bars of his cell. He's completely changed man from when I last saw him. "What he did yesterday? That was nothing. That took no effort from them. They're skilled, and they get what they want. We might have the walls on our side, but they have guns and people, two things we definitely don't have," he comments as he looks around the room and sees merely ten people. "They could even starve us out if they wanted to."

"Let's put him in the other cell block," Maggie rolls her eyes, turning away from him.

"Guys, he has a point," I say, taking up for him. Even though he's an asshole, he does have a point. He knows them and he knows how they work.

"This is your fault!" Maggie ignores me as she raises her voice and turns back around to my brother. "You're the one who started this!"

"What's it matter whose fault it is?" Beth says, stepping down the steps to stand by her dad. "What do we do?"

"I say we leave," Hershel says, holding his crutches as he sits at the bottom of the steps. "Lori and T-Dog are dead. We can't just sit here and wait."

Rick looks at Hershel momentarily before turning to walk away. Hershel shakes his head as he pushes himself up on his crutches to go after Rick.

"Get back in here!" Hershel yells, causing me to flinch. I've never heard him raise his voice like that before. Rick stops in his tracks, but he doesn't turn around as Hershel continues talking, "You're slipping, Rick. We've all seen it, and we understand why, but now is not the time for this. You once said this wasn't a democracy, now own up to it. We're all in danger here, Rick. I put my family's lives in your hands! Clear your head, Rick, and do something."

Rick doesn't say anything, and after a few seconds he walks away from all of his people. Hershel merely shakes his head before turning and walking off as well. The few people left in the room begin to disperse as well, and I fell a hand on my shoulder. Looking up, I see that it is Daryl. He gives me a grim look as he offers his hand to help me up. I take it, and he pulls me up, wrapping his arms around my waist once he does so.