Chapter Sixty-Two: Cell Block D

•sixty-two•

Beatrix

My mind was racing as I ran to Cell Block D, sword drawn as I followed behind Daryl, Shane and Sasha.

"It ain't a breach!" Daryl yells to Rick, who falls in behind us.

"We followed the plan. I don't know what happened!" Sasha seems frightened as we finally make our way into the cell block.

"Move," Daryl growls as he pushes past an older gentleman, who stumbles back into me.

"Have you been bitten?" I ask him. Once he nods his head I push him out of the cell block. "Go, we've got this."

Everybody is screaming, a sound I still haven't gotten used to hearing. People are running around frantically, and just to be honest, I can't really tell who is a walker and who is a human at this point. Daryl and Glenn are working on killing all of the walkers as Maggie pushes people into cells to stay safe. Rick is busy leading people down the stairs, and as I'm watching everything, I see a little boy cowering in a corner with a walker on top of him. I quickly take it upon myself to run to him, pulling the walker off and pushing my knife through its head.

"Here, take him!" I hand the boy off to Maggie as I turn to see what else I can do to make myself useful.

"Beatrix!" I turn to see Glenn yelling for me. He was pulling a walker off of a woman who had just been bitten on the arm. "Can you do it?"

"I've got this," I run over and drop down beside of the woman. "Just cover me, Glenn."

"You got it," he nods and turns to make sure walkers aren't going to bother me as I do this.

"Please don't kill me," she begs me, a tear dipping down her cheek.

"I'm not doing to kill you," I shake my head as I take my belt off and tie it around her arm as a tourniquet. "I'm going to save your life. This will hurt, but you have to be still."

She starts to question me, but before she can, I already have my sword out and her arm is lying on the ground next to her with blood flowing everywhere. I cut the bottom of her shirt off of her, using it to stop the bleeding the best I can until someone can get to help me.

"Is it clear down here? Are we safe?" Rick yells, looking around the lower section of the cell block.

"It's clear, but I need a little help over here!" I yell back, and Shane and Merle come running to me. "Can you two get her to Lucas? He's back in the medical room."

Instead of saying anything, they both nod and pick her up, carrying her off and out of here. Finally, I have time to look around me. At least a dozen dead bodies litter the ground around me. It brings a tear to my eye. I knew these people. I lived with these people. They were a part of our family, and now they're gone.

"Well, that's all of them," Daryl sighs from the upper level of the cell block. "Hey, Trixy, come up here."

"What's wrong?" I ask one I'm at the top of the stairs.

"Looks like Patrick was the one who started all of this. Can you look at him and tell us how he died?" Rick asks, pointing me in the direction of his body.

"I'm not a forensic pathologist, but I'll try," I give the two of them a weak smile before I drop my weapons in order to look at his body.

While I'm doing that, Rick and Daryl check the rest of the upper level cells, killing any last walkers that were missed. By the time they get back, a small crowd of people comes with them, and I think I have an answer.