Chapter Thirty: Granite

•thirty•

Beatrix

The truck that they brought with them is parked in front of the doors, so hopefully they're still here. I exchange a concerned look with Glenn after seeing the truck, but we continue on to the enterance of the store anyway.

"Are you ready for this?" Glenn asks, as we both know what could be waiting for us inside.

"Not really, but I have to be," I answer truthfully as I unsheath my sword and hold my flashlight in my right hand.

The moans of a walker can be heard from behind me, and I decide to take some of my emotions out on it. I take a few steps back before slicing its head clean off of its body. After scanning the area and seeing that there aren't any more walkers around, I turn back around to Glenn.

"Let's go," I mumble and push open the door, not even checking to see if there are any walkers inside.

When we first walk in, it's eerily quiet, but after a few seconds of waking around, I can hear someone yelling from the back of the store, but I can't make out who it is or what they're saying. I look a Glenn, my eyes widening before I take off in a run through the store.

"Beatrix, stop!" Glenn whisper-yells from behind me, and I slow down even though I don't want to.

"What, Glenn?" I whisper-yell back as soon as he catches up with me.

"What if it's not Daryl?"

"We'll cross that bridge when we get there," I shrug before speeding back up, following the yelling as I hear it. I'm not the most physically fit person, but I'm not out of breath yet. Must be an adrenaline rush.

I've determined that the yelling is coming from the back of the store where only employees are allowed, and it's coming from a man, or multiple men actually. You know who we're missing? Multiple men. I make a turn before pushing through the double doors that lead to the back of the store.

"Shut up, Merle. Daryl's gonna be fine, man," I hear T-Dog yell, which immediately puts me in a panic.

"Oh, what the hell?" I sigh and stop dead in my tracks as soon as the three of them are in view.

"The hell is she doin' here?" Daryl yells, looking at Merle.

"Excuse you?" I scoff. "I came here because I thought you were dead! And you're just laying there under a pile of countertops asking what I'm doing here? I'm going to kick your ass!"

"Hold up now, Baby Mama," Merle holds me back, keeping me from punching Daryl in the face. "I tried to come and get help, but Daryl wouldn't let me. Said he didn't wanna' worry ya. Said he'd be fine and we'd get him out."

"Yeah, well he's a dumbass," I mumble before giving up on trying to get past Merle. "Can you not even get him out from under there? How did this even happen?"

"No," Merle replies. "Tried to come back to the hotel to get help, but Daryl didn't want you to find out. He was standin' behind a stack of 'em and I backed into it and knocked it over. Landed on top of him."

"Well you need to go now. Both of you and Glenn," I motion behind me to Glenn, who's really just standing there confused. "I'll stay here with Daryl," I pause for a minute. "You're all dumbasses, you know? A patient sustains a crushing injury to the lower limbs and nobody thinks to get the only damn doctor around?"