Chapter Fifty-Nine: Engagement Ring

•fifty-nine•

WARNING!!!!!! Spoiler alert lol but this chapter has some smut so if you don't like that or whatever, just read the first part and then skip to the end :))

Beatrix

"Hi, Daryl," I give him a weak smile, so he doesn't get too upset too fast. I'm not sure if he wants me to apologize or what, but I'm not going to.

"If you're leaving me for him, just go. I don't want a big speech about it," he says quickly, almost fumbling over his words as he stands awkwardly in front of me.

"I'm not," I shake my head, hopefully reassuring him. "He lied to you. I never said I didn't want to see you, because I've been unconscious this whole time. I just woke up."

"You don't have to spare my feelings," he looks to the floor. I pat the seat next to me, and he sits down.

"I'm not. I woke up and asked for you. He said you hadn't been to see me once," I explain. "And then I understood why when I talked to Baxly. I don't hate you, Dare."

"You sure about that?" He looks at me with an expression I can't quite read.

"I would never lie to you," I assure him.

"I don't like him," he states, stating forward.

"Really? I couldn't tell?" I laugh, taking a drink of my water.

"I don't want you around him."

"I have to fix his face," I say, playing with my fingers in my lap. "From where you almost killed him. He looks awful, Daryl."

"Not your job to fix it," he scoffs.

"It kind of is. It's not like he can do it himself," I argue. "And besides, we aren't on great terms right now anyway. He's mad at me for not leaving you."

"Well go ahead if it'll please him," he pushes his lips into a straight line.

"Stop acting like that, Daryl," I roll my eyes. "If I wanted to, I would."

"It's just that he's just like you. Doctor, smart," he shakes his head and looks down. "Just don't think you'd want to be with me when you could have him."

"Oh, Daryl," I frown at him. I don't know how he could think that. When an idea pops into my head, I push myself to stand up with a groan. "Come with me."

"Are you good to walk?" He questions, grabbing hold of my arm to steady me.

"I need some help," I give him a soft smile.

I'm a bit slow making my way to the stairs, and I'm even slower getting up the stairs. Daryl doesn't seem to mind though. He just holds me as I walk up myself. I appreciate that, because I need to walk by myself. When we finally make it to our room, I go straight to one of my bags.

I dig inside of it, opening up the inside zipper pocket. When I pull out the tiny drawstring pouch, Daryl looks at me in curiosity. I hand it over to him, not wanting to hold it. He opens it up and his mouth drops. He pulls the ring out and holds it in front of his face to examine it.

"I guess he bought this?" He stares at it.

"Yes. That was my engagement ring," I frown. "He told me he didn't want it back, so I just kept it."

"How much was this?" Daryl asks in curiosity.

"He never told me, but I would guess somewhere around a hundred and fifty thousand. This big one is a five carat princess cut," I point to the big one and then to the smaller ones on each side. "And these are like a carat each."