Chapter Nineteen: On The Run

•nineteen•

Beatrix

"Where exactly am I driving to?" Carol asks me after she's driven for a little while.

"Um, give me a second," I sigh and wipe as many tears as I can off my face. "Daryl and Rick would go somewhere we all know about. They would go back to the highway where the heard came through. Everyone knows where that is."

"Okay," she nods and focuses on driving.

"I need to check on Carl. Are you okay for a few minutes?" I ask Beth.

"Yeah," she nods and lifts her head off of me so I can move. I swing my legs over the back of the seat and sit down in the back beside of Carl's legs.

"Carl, how are you?" I quietly ask him. He doesn't respond, so I shake him and he still doesn't move. "Carl, you have to get up."

"Did he get bit?" Beth asks, turning around.

"No, I think he's in shock," I say, more to myself than Beth. "Carol, how much longer until we make it to the highway?"

"It shouldn't be too much longer," Carol gives me a weak smile in the rear view mirror.

I have no idea how, but the sun is coming up now. We've been awake all night because of the farm getting overrun and I have no idea if anybody else made it out. As I try to hold Carl's legs up, it's what you're supposed to do for people in shock, I let more tears fall. All I can think about is if Daryl is okay.

My medical trailer is with me, which is my number one concern, as always, but Daryl isn't with me. I have no idea where he's at, and that scares the crap out of me. For the past two months, he's been there for me and vice versa. He was screaming for me, looking for me. I don't know what I'm gonna do if he's not on the highway.

"Beatrix?" Carol gets my attention. "It looks like some of them are on the highway."

"Oh, my God," I gasp, finding a little hope. Maybe Daryl made it back here too.

"Do you have Carl?" Rick yells at me as soon as I open the truck door.

"Yeah, he's in the backseat," I give him a small smile and wipe the excess tears from my face. I've probably been crying for hours, and I'm going to be dehydrated soon if I do t stop. "He's in shock, so you should be careful with him. He should be fine soon."

"Thank you," he quickly hugs me, then runs to Carl.

So far, only Rick and Hershel are on the road other than us. I sit down on the road, leaning on the truck tire as we wait for more people to arrive. Slowly, more and more people show up. Lori rides in with Otis in his truck, and Glenn and Maggie drive up together, but still no Daryl. After anoth hour of waiting, nobody else shows up. The whole time I've been sitting down, I've been crying too. The tears just won't stop.

"Beatrix, we need to leave soon," Rick says, sitting down next to me. "I don't think he's coming."

"Don't say that," I snap at him, then stand up to address the whole group. "Where's everybody else?"

"Patricia, they attacked her," Hershel sighs, and I can hear Otis start to panic. "I tried to save her, but they pulled her away from me."

"Andrea saved me," Carol speaks up. "I saw her go down after."

"Did anybody see Daryl?" I ask rather loudly.

"The last I saw was him riding around on his bike, screaming for you, like I said before," Carol looks at me sympathetically.

"He was around the barn the last that I saw. It was on fire," Otis says quietly. I feel terrible for him. He must be heartbroken over Patricia.

"There's someone coming," Rick says, pointing to a truck speeding down the road.