12- Friends

Riley's P.O.V.

Brandon didn't come back to school for the rest of the week.

The following week he was back on Monday. I saw him in our first period class, which shocked me. I guess I didn't know what to expect, honestly I figured he was just going to disappear again like he did a few years ago.

He looked at me as I walked in but I looked away immediately. He said we weren't friends so I was going to give up trying, even if I didn't want that. I wasn't going to push him into something he didn't want.

Brandon and I ended up getting a hundred percent on our project together. I could feel Brandon's eyes on me when Mr. Dyer handed us back our review sheets but I wouldn't acknowledge him.

It was now Friday night. Our football team won tonight, so I was sitting on the couch at the party surrounded by my friends. I honestly didn't want to come out tonight but I promised Brynn I'd be there this time.

"We should throw a big party, like a big senior bash or end of the football season party." Paul suggested. "Something different, not at someone's house like this… it needs to be big."

"Like a big bonfire on the beach." Josh added.

"Oh that would be so fun." Brynn said, agreeing with Josh. "What do you think, Ri?"

"Yeah, that would be awesome." I said pounding back my drink. I didn't care, I had a buzz going and that's the only thing that was on my mind right now. Well that and Brandon… that stupid boy!

"I need another drink." I got up and headed towards the cooler. After grabbing my drink I went back over to my group, plopping down on Paul.

I placed my head on his chest, looking up at him, "Hi, Pauly."

"Hey Darlin." He leaned in kissing my cheek. Paul and I have always been close, when Josh and I got into a fight if my girls weren't around, Paul was there for me. I loved Paul, he told me how it was… and if I was being dramatic, he would tell me so but there was just a brother-sister friendship there.

As I sat on Paul's lap, Brent kept eyeing me. "Brent has his eye on you." Paul whispered in my ear.

"I've noticed."

"You're not interested? I thought you liked him at one point?"

I shrugged my shoulders. "I'm not anymore, I like being single."

That's probably because I only had eyes for one guy and he didn't even want to be friends with me.

"I think Brandon might have something to do with that."

"Shut up!" I snapped back.

Paul smirked, "Okay, but I think I'm right."

"And I think you're dumb."

He started laughing, "Nice comeback Ri."

"Well I wanted to say something else but it's none of my business."

He gave me a questioning look, "I want to hear it."

"Alright, for someone that notices Brent staring at me, you're doing an awful lot of staring yourself."

He looked over at Brynn and then back at me. "Touché."

Rolling my eyes at him I checked my phone for messages, having a few from my mom which I responded to immediately and one from Brandon that he sent over an hour ago.

Brandon- Can we talk?

Paul tapped my leg, pointing to my left. "Umm Ri?"

I looked over, seeing Brandon standing there. He looked tired, stressed and like something was bothering him.