Chapter 6

(Image above is my Artwork of every character introduced by this chapter

(Image above is my Artwork of every character introduced by this chapter. This is exactly what the characters would look like in my mind's idea of their physical traits, besides scars being all over the male dogs which I chose not to draw. Left To Right, Top to Bottom: Flare, Shadow, White Dog, Jax, Grey Dog, Mocha)

Flare couldn't have been prepared for barreling into another dog head-first and colliding snouts with them- the impact jarred her skull and left her feeling light-headed with shock.

She didn't even make it to the living room or past the length of the trendil, because a tall brown dog with thin fur was standing there. As it turns out, the trendil in The Man's hand was a leash attached to a dog's neck. Before she could say anything at all towards the dog in her way, The Man turned around and booted her in the haunches- right back outside the door. The kick hadn't caused much pain; just an uncomfortable shock.

This time, The Man slammed the door shut quickly behind him after giving a sharp tug on the brown dog's leash. Flare had no choice but to step back as all of the dogs barked or snarled aggressively at the brown dog.

The same kind of welcome I received, she realized mildly as she thought about the brown dog. Grey Dog was one of the first to fly towards him, and he immediately landed a split-second bite on the upper part of Shadow's ear. The brown dog flinched but didn't stay cowered.

He was being surrounded by all of the pelts of the other dogs now, but Flare was able to see from a few paces away that he held no visible scars. His eyes were a lighter shade of brown than most dog's, and his legs were long like Flare's, so much so that he almost reached White Dog in height and surpassed both Jax and Grey Dog.

White Dog indeed seemed intimidated by this, to the point where he was now the one snapping and showing his teeth; contrary to Grey Dog who was the meanest at most times.

"Oh great, now we've got a Brown Dog!" Jax sounded snotty and sarcastic, but his tail was still wagging at the prospect of seeing a new dog. He sniffed the male all over, nudging Mocha's muzzle aside a time or two.

"He smells odd," Mocha put in with a nose-wrinkle from beside Jax's shoulder.

"He shouldn't be here!" Snarled Grey Dog, who didn't move to attack but glowered. The male's thin grey fur looked stick in the light pour.

"Stop your complaining. This is just another fight-dog The Man has brought home. And he's hardly older than Jax or Tan Dog." White Dog curled his lip and left it that way as, surprisingly, Brown Dog replied calmly without any menace in his voice whatsoever.

"Actually, my name's Shadow. Your human is a bit rough for my liking, so if you'd all tell me the way to get out of here I'll just-."

"GET OUT OF HERE?" Jax bellowed.

"Why would you want to? The humans feed us and we have females to mate with!"

At that, Shadow flicked an ear and ignored Jax just like everyone besides White Dog did. Speaking of, the dog still had the hint of a snarl on his face as he stepped dangerously close to the brown dog called Shadow.