Chapter 23

The following evening Flare tried to stay up well after Crow, but he kept talking well into the night- or bothering her with affection. Privately, she thought it was nice at times- but it felt wrong and unearned. Shadow deserves to be next to me, over any dog. And I am the one who should get to choose which dog is my mate or friend- or neither. The canine didn't truly know whether she wanted a mate or not. And she was even more uncertain it being Shadow or Crow.

"What do you like?" Crow spoke up again as he nibbled behind her ear for the dozenth time. So annoying. Ugh.

He seemed infatuated with the idea of having someone who geuinely liked him, and even more so that he was able to exchange affection with another dog.

It'd be adorable if only he wasn't so gruesome and cruel just yesterday. He's horrible to Shadow, and forces me to do this.

She kept her eyes on her paws as she answered, and had to stop herself from shivering at Crow's muzzle being so near her face.

"Lots of things. I like the warm weather more than the cold and wet- I like the way the sun shines when it's not covered by clouds... Other dogs, and that female human who brings us scraps," she mumbled.

I still don't fully trust him, even though I want to... The tan dog couldn't shake off the feeling of being manipulated. Her thoughts kept switching from hatred to pity to yearning for a connection. When did other dogs become so important to me? But even more so...

I can't deny that I want to be loved. Who doesn't? But I want Shadow! Her heart began racing as she panicked a bit. Crow's sleek black head slid over her back as he rested his head on her flank. Crow put a paw over Flare's haunch in a protective gesture.

Right?

Deeply unsettled, she allowed herself to be cuddled. The black long-coated German Shepherd was immensely soft and warm. His long nose was stark against her yellow-cream fur.

"What other dogs do you like?" Crow commented, seemingly nonchalant.

"Well- like may be a strong word. But Jax is alright. He only talks too much because he needs a true friend or role model. White Dog is very alone, and I don't think he prefers it that way; or the way his life's been." She took a breath.

"Grey Dog's lost his mate and puppies. No dog knows where Mocha went. We all don't deserve to be here. I don't want to be here." Flare's voice had grown stronger on the end. She was feeling trapped, and was very close to standing up and pushing Crow off of her.

But the male dog didn't say anything. He simply thought for such a long time that Flare quit expecting and answer.

"Where else is there to go?"

"Somewhere without people, if it exists. I don't know of any food sources besides kibble or trash bins, but..." She trailed off, realizing how daft the entire thing sounded.

"I don't know," Flare sighed in defeat.

Crow didn't comment. As the crickets sang on throughout the night, though- he did say one more thing.

"Thank you for trying to love me, Flare."

Now, it was her turn to be quiet. Flare gulped and kept her gaze well away from his so they didn't meet eyes. Pity wrenched her heart sideways.

Oh, Crow- under different circumstances, perhaps...

The male dog soon fell asleep, his head resting more heavily on her flank. As the silence spanned out, Flare could feel some dog's watching eyes her.