Chapter 22

Feeling on the verge of depressed, Flare dragged her paws towards the rubber-scented black tires. She collapsed with her back turned to Crow in the center of one after climbing in. It was the safest she could feel around crow, barricading herself off from him with the tire's thick black walls.

"Come on, don't be like that. I am the strongest male. I'm the Alpha, and I get the female I choose." Flare was thouroghly annoyed even just from the amount of "I"'s in his sentence.

Besides that, she felt bad for Shadow- who had literal holes in his neck from Crow's long teeth. She hadn't even been able to check on him. Crow just shuffled her away as if she was a sheep meant to be herded. Shadow's sitting alone right now- after he just came back for me! It was both infuriating and maddening. And I'm not Crow's mate, whatever he claims.

"We ate it all," announced Jax quite loudly from across The Yard. His voice sounded slightly boastful, and envious. Flare realized she wouldn't get to eat today- The Man had retreated back inside.

"Don't get used to it," the black shepherd stated with a warning growl. She heard his haunches lower into the grass beside the tire she was in. Flare sighed aloud, extremely fed up with his company. Why can't he at least go away now?

"What do you see in Shadow, anyways?" He growled, using the young male dog's real name for once.

"Besides the fact that he fights almost as well as I do."

At first Flare thought about whether she wanted to answer. Then, when she decided she would, the words were as fast and naturally occurring as flowing water.

"Shadow is highly intelligent," Crow gave a quick huff of disbelief through his nostrils, but was ignored.

"And naturally sympathetic, unlike you." Crow hackles rose a bit, so Flare quickened her words.

"He always tries to figure things out, and other dogs. He has a strong sense of right or wrong- and was the only other who seemed to have a thought about life beyond The Yard. Instead of accepting life as it is, he tries to change it."

Flare knew she couldn't add in the fact that Shadow's eyes were a soft shade of brown, his pelt extremelely smooth and soft, and his shape lean but muscular. But she could say one more thing.

"And he's very protective," she mumbled at last.

"So am I," Cut in Crow defensively. Not in the right way, Flare thought. But she kept it to herself.

"And I've changed things too, Flare. What I haven't changed, I want to change." Flare's ears lifted up as she heard real concern in his voice. He was becoming emotional.

"I've tried to feed you better these last few days."

That's true, but... She couldn't finish the thought as she listened to his breath shaking.

"I'm trying to keep other male dogs away from you so they don't bother you. And I've asked you to play, and tried to be close." The Black Dog quieted from beyond Flare's enclosed tire. Most of what she could see was the sky above her, and she pricked her ears as she listened closely.

He's not evil or bad... He truly just wants me to like him. That's not wrong or horrible. But the way I get treated sometimes is.

"You just don't respond to any of it in a grateful way," he finalized, a bit retortful at the end. The dog was reaching out for emotional connection, and Flare drew a shuddering breath before her reply. I hope I don't lead him on, or upset him worse either....

"I may be able t-to try... She began nervously, studdering over her words. She heard Crow's tail thump in a wag, knowing it would stop with what she had to say next.